Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

paythepiper
Frequent Visitor

Renaming a report in app without changing link

I have a report that was originally saved in a workspace with the name "bequest_inquiry_to_commitment" based on a dataset of the same name. It was published to the app with that name as well. 

We made changes to the report and renamed both the report and the dataset in the workspace as “Bequest Inquiry to Commitment”.  When I update the app the report view reflects our changes, but maintains the old name of bequest_inquiry_to_commitment. 

Is there any way to change this name in the app without changing the URL and therefore needing to send out a new link?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Lin -

Thanks for the reply, but our situation was a little different than what this post addresses.  We WERE updating the app and the new name was NOT being reflected, while the changes to the report WERE being reflected.  I did not want to have to delete the report from the workspace and republish as new thing, because I thought that would change the link too?  (Would it?)

We did solve this though - by setting the report's 'Include in App?' to No, then updating the app to remove, then setting it back to Yes and reupdating the app - and voila.  It was there with the new name.  

Thank you!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
C4YNelis
Advocate II
Advocate II

I realize this is an old thread, however, I've just seen the same behaviour. In my oppinion this seems more like a bug or a synchronization issue than standard intended behaviour. I've been updating and renaming reports myself, which went just fine (first, rename your dataset in the workspace (and your report if necessary), then republish with the same name (which is optional obviously, but that's what I was doing) and update the app. I've done this with several reports without issues, until I stumbled upon one that just refused to update.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I just introduced some new cross-report drillthrough options, which were not there before yet in this particular report. As I've also seen synchronisation issues with those in the past, my best guess is that when I would have tried again tomorrow, it'd have worked just fine. However, it just so seems that you can actually work around it by changing something else in the navigational section of the App (e.g. the order of reports). I've changed the name there (by resetting the name - which had changed in the workspace already) and changed the order by one, which was enough to change the name.

Cheers,

Niels

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @paythepiper 

Here is similar post for you refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/After-updating-App-does-URL-change/td-p/690995

You could rename the report and then update this app, the link won't change,

3.JPG

But if you unpublish the app and re-publish the app it will then create a new link.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin -

Thanks for the reply, but our situation was a little different than what this post addresses.  We WERE updating the app and the new name was NOT being reflected, while the changes to the report WERE being reflected.  I did not want to have to delete the report from the workspace and republish as new thing, because I thought that would change the link too?  (Would it?)

We did solve this though - by setting the report's 'Include in App?' to No, then updating the app to remove, then setting it back to Yes and reupdating the app - and voila.  It was there with the new name.  

Thank you!

hi, @paythepiper 

@paythepiper wrote:

Hi Lin -

Thank you!

Republish the app will change the link.

and It's pleasant that your problem has been solved, could you please mark the reply as Answered? that way, other community members will easily find the solution when they get the same issue.  Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors