Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

Renaming Dataflow Tables: What do I need to watch out for?

I need to rename various tables within a dataflow. Some reports/datasets already use these tables.  Will I need to reset and then republish all the reports/datasets that use those? Or does the renaming automatically propagate without any further updates?

If there's a step-by-step article about this specific question please let me know where that is. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @arock-well ,
once you rename tables in dataflow, your refresh will be broken.
PQ refference directly to specific name of the table and renaming it cause troubles.

Another problem is, that DAX measures are also definy for a specific table name.

Hope I helped.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @arock-well ,
once you rename tables in dataflow, your refresh will be broken.
PQ refference directly to specific name of the table and renaming it cause troubles.

Another problem is, that DAX measures are also definy for a specific table name.

Hope I helped.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

Yes, thanks for your confirmation on this. I was testing this and it definitely breaks the refresh. I wish that MS would use a unique data ID for each Table name and if the name changed it would recognize this and automatically make updates on next refresh.

Looks like I'll need to make sure I have my naming conventions set up correctly the first time unless I want to rewire all reports and datasets.

arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

If anyone has ever renamed Tables I'd be interested in hearing your experience of downstream reports and datasets and if they were affected in any way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors