Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

s-turn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Renamed a dataset - now it's there twice in the Service!

Hello,

Apologies if I've accidentally posted this twice - I thought I had posted it, but it's not there...

A while ago, I created a Power BI file with the intention of building my data model in there, and using it as a data source for other Power BI reports.  I named it "Creating Dataset" and published it up to the Service.  I also created some reports which drew on this dataset, and published them too.

Today, I renamed the file "Core Dataset" and published it again.  I can now see that it is there in the Service twice - once under the old name and once under the new name!

How can I tidy this up so it is only there under the new name, without disrupting the reports which are fed by it?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @s-turn ,

do not delete the dataset. All of your reports will not work.

Just rename first the data set to "Core Dataset", then rename the report on power bi service to "Core Dataset". Afterwards rename the local report to to "Core Dataset".

Like this all of your other reports should keep the connection to the original data set and you can work with the version with the new name. Also like this you have only one version of the report.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @s-turn ,

when you publish a file with a new name it will be a new data set.

Go to the Power BI Service and rename the dataset and optional if you want also the corresponding report:

17.png

All the reports that are based on that dataset will still be connected to the same data set.

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

@selimovd thanks for the reply! So, does that mean that I can't change both the name of the .pbix file and the name of the dataset in the Service?  I'd rather that they match, to avoid confusion...

Hey @s-turn ,

sure, you can change both. Rename both like in the screenshot I shared in my first reply.

I just meant you don't have to, but of course you can rename both.

Best regards
Denis

@selimovd  I mean I want one .pbix on my local drive called "Core Dataset", which is what I have, and I want it published up to the Service as a single dataset also called "Core Dataset".  I do not want to have a second version of it on the Service.  

I have just gone ahead and deleted the original one from the Service, as it was showing an error message anyway about being unable to refresh.  This has had the effect of deleting all the reports that use it as a data source from the Service too.  Presumably I can just republish them, which I'll try tomorrow, so hopefully not a disaster.

It would be nice if the Power BI Service had allowed me to see which version was linked to the published reports.  A bit too late, I have just seen March's official blog which mentions a new "dataset details page" in the Service - that might have been handy!

Hello @s-turn ,

do not delete the dataset. All of your reports will not work.

Just rename first the data set to "Core Dataset", then rename the report on power bi service to "Core Dataset". Afterwards rename the local report to to "Core Dataset".

Like this all of your other reports should keep the connection to the original data set and you can work with the version with the new name. Also like this you have only one version of the report.

Best regards
Denis

Thank you again.  It was too late for me as I'd already deleted it, which meant all my reports did indeed disappear from the Service.  However, I was able to republish them again.  I had to go into each one in Desktop, whereupon I would get an error about the dataset not being available.  I clicked on Edit in that pop-up, and this allowed me to choose the dataset (with its new name).  The files then loaded as normal and I was able to publish them again.

Next time I will follow your advice!

Hey @s-turn ,

next time I just have to answer faster 😉

I'm sorry you had to fix it this time like that. Next time you know how to do that.

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors