Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Guillaume_
Helper I
Helper I

Rename a dataset or dataflow as part of pipeline rule?

When deploying a dataset or a dataflow through a pipeline rule there is no way at this point to rename / prefix / suffix the object name?

This would help to maintain distinct names for clarity, ie 

DEV Sales Analysis -> TEST Sales Analysis -> Sales Analysis

At the moment the object has the same name and the only way to differentiate is the workspace name which may lead to confusion.

5 REPLIES 5
Guillaume_
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks but I'm after changing the name of the object ie the dataset or the dataflow.

I've actually noticed that it can be renamed after deployment and the relationship between source and destination seems to be maintained.

Therefore it could be just a simple operation as part of the first deployment.

I'm still running into the problem that, after renaming, a change is detected by the deployment pipeline. The connection between the object and the renamed object is indeed there, however, when deploying, a change (in name) is discovered, which in turn will be deployed by the pipeline. 
That is: the name in the destination stage is changed back, according to the name in the source-stage.. 

Is there anyone who has a solution to this issue?

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Guillaume_ ,

According to my knowledge, if you want to change the name of datasource in pipeline, you may need to change the data source connection.  You can’t change the data source connection in pipline stages in Power BI service.

If you want to change the data source in the test or production stages, you can use deployment rules or APIs. Deployment rules will only come into effect after the next deployment.

For more details, please refer to:

Get started using deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool - P...

Troubleshoot deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool - Power ...

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

i'm after renaming the object not the connection. At the moment we have to manually rename objects po-deployment. I assume this should be a fairly simple rule to be built in deployment pipelines.

I too have this problem. I think it makes sense to have the environment name added to e.g. the semantic model or (paginated) report file - or at least have the flexibility to do so. To be able to parameterize the destination name would be great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors