Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

spicydisaster

Rename Published Dataset Table w/o Breaking Reports in Service

Our team has several published datasets with linked reports in PBI Service. Is there a way to change the name of a table in the dataset and have all downstream reports reflect this change without manually having to replace fields on each visual? Something similar to an "edit links" option in Excel that just redirects from Table A to Table C where Table A has been renamed as Table C. 

Problem: Currently accessing shipment data from Table A that is using the DataWarehouse table name. We now need to append existing Table A with Table B to create Table C.

Table A = DW table name

Table B = Additional data to append

Table C = Appended table

My thought is if I could rename Table A to be Table C for the existing dataset, the visuals would then inherit this link to Table C. Then I could replace the dataset with the one that has Tables A, B, and C so visuals would correctly point to appended Table C. 

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @spicydisaster 

Unfortunately as far as I have seen is that the visuals are tied to the tablename/column name combination. So if the table name changes this will then cause all those visuals to break.

The only work around is to make the table name change and then fix all the existing reports.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors