Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lordneeko
Advocate II
Advocate II

Removing App permissions does not remove permissions to underlying data

I have a concerning issue.

I’ve been going through and culling the list of people who have access to my published PBI application.  However, when I remove people from the app I get a pop-up that looks like this which seems to indicate that removing their permissions to the “app” does not remove their permissions to the underlying report (and data).

Picture1.png

When I go to each underlying report’s permissions, sure enough ALL the work I put into removing people’s access to the app was completely pointless because their access is retained to the report. The user STILL retains permissions to “Read, reshare, and build” to EACH of the reports that are a part of the app.  This means that I need to remove permissions from the App, and then (one by one) go and remove permissions from each user for each of the 10 reports that I have in my app???

Picture2.png

11 REPLIES 11
Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I WISH I could take the extra step. I get the same message about managing permissions to remove them from the dataset, BUT removing them from the dataset is NOT an option. What am I missing? 

Screenshot 2022-01-12 115716.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please raise it as an Issue, I'll be happy to support you in pushing change for that. Has been bugging me for a long time.

I'm not exactly certain where you report PBI issues.

lordneeko
Advocate II
Advocate II

Ok so it sounds like this is the "as designed" function, but it is a poor design.  Especially considering I can only modify one permission, for one person at a time on a dataset. This is VERY poor design.  
I do not even know why this check box is here

lordneeko_0-1614170678406.png

Since the page does NOT give you the ability to bulk modify permissions

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @lordneeko 

According to the picture you posted, I think the true meaning of this warning is that you have to remove the users’ access to your reports or datasets if they are accessed to the reports or datasets before they were added to the APP you created. I think the meaning of this design is to prevent accidentally deleting users who already have permissions to your report and dataset, and these users also had access to your APP.

More info about publishing an App in Power BI

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yep. Of course the impact depends on these users having a Pro license or not.

I don't understand your statement. Are you saying "Yes, you have to subsequently remove each individual user from all reports, even though you already removed them from the app" ?

If that were the scenario then I think it would make sense.  But NONE of the people whom I've given access to the "App" had access to the reports or datasets prior to getting access to the App.  Therefore that scenario doesn't play out.  I would have expected that removing their access to the App would have propagated to the datasets/reports as well.

Hi, @lordneeko 

Yes, after you have removed their access to the APP, you can also go to the dataset->Manage permission to check if they don’t have access to the dataset. If they don’t exist in the Users, then they won’t have access to the report/dataset.

v-robertq-msft_0-1614133711073.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1614133711075.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors