Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Martine2607
Advocate I
Advocate I

Remove excel export with live connection format

Since recently (today?) the export options have changed for the reports on power bi service. Currently when a user exports the data from a chart the default file format is set to Excel with live connection. However then when you open the file you do not see any data untill you "enable editing" and "enable content" . Is it possible to turn of the live connection? Or make the default option Excel without live connection?

Martine2607_0-1674652734755.png

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Martine2607
Advocate I
Advocate I

Ah right, so that is a setting for the whole organization? Then this is not a solution. Hopefully Power BI soon adds the setting per report like they currently have these export options:

Martine2607_0-1674655398767.png

It's fine that they add the option but it should not be the default options since it is very confusing for users if they open an excel file with no data. Also it's not very user friendly since to make the data appear they have to click twice "enable editing" and "enable content" and then the data also does not look the same as before, since now more unnecceasry columns (like the sort by) are added.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. That's a new option that has been released to get more rows. If you want to export the way it was before just open de dropdownlist and change it

ibarrau_0-1674653325357.png

For now the default option shown is the live connection. I don't think you can change it, but you can try removing the options of analyze excel or excel live connection from the tenant settings and check if that removes it.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks a lot for your quick reply! Where can I find the tenant settings to remove the analyze in excel or excel live connection options?

You can find it on the top right corner. There is a settings option-> admin portal -> tenant settings. Only PowerBi Admins role can see this options.

You can read more about it here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-portal

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi Martine2607, 

did you find a way to get rid of 500k option ? 

BR

Hi d4t0r,

I had this exact issue and managed to turn off the Excel live connection by turning off the following option in tenant settings:

Users can work with semantic models in Excel using a live connection
Disabled for the entire organization
Users can export data to Excel from a report visual or semantic model, or export a semantic model to an Excel workbook with Analyze in Excel, both options with a live connection to the XMLA endpoint.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors