Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ptr
Frequent Visitor

Remove Gateway Name

I installed the On-premesis data gateway on a server and ran through the configuration and created a gateway and recovery key. The problem is that I was logged on with my O365 admin account and I meant to create the gateway with my O365 user account. Of course if I now try to create the gateway logged on with the correct account I get the error that a gateway with that name already exists.

Because I want to re-use the name again is there a way of removing the named gateway I created using my admin account? I'm assuming the name gets registered in a config file or similar somewhere?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ptr,

In your scenario, you can't change ownership of the gateway. You can use the admin account to sign up a Power BI pro trial account, then use my steps to share the gateway to your user account.

Alternatively, when you log in the server with user account, create gateway using a different name.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ptr
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your suggestions.

As my admin account doesn't actually have access to Power BI I cannot assign another administrator to share it with hence why I need to kill that gateway name and reuse it.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ptr,

If you want to use the existing gateway with a different account, why not sharing it to your O365 user account? On the Administrators tab in the following screenshot, for the gateway, add the O365 user account so that the account can administer the gateway.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@ptr I haven't done this step by step yet, but you should be able to use the recovery key to change the ownership of the existing gateway to the user account you intended.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Where would I carry out the process to change the ownership? I've started the gateway application on the server it was installed but cannot see any options to perform actions with it.

@ptr I just tested this scenerio. Here are the steps I took, and it worked.

(Leave the Gateway in the Power BI Service alone)

On the server - un-install the current on-premises data gateway.

- Programs and Features

- Right click - "On-premises data gateway"

- Uninstall -> Gateway uninstall will pop up -> Next -> should uninstall successfully.

Re-install the Gateway

Sign in with the account you want to run the gateway

Then select the "Migrate, restore, or takeover an existing gateway

migrate.JPG

Select the Gateway (It should be in the dropdown list because you didn't remove it from the Service)

Input the Recovery Key from the initial gateway

Configure

You should get a "Connected: <Gateway Name> is good to go.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

That doesn't quite work due to the two different accounts. My standard account can't take ownership of the gateway because it can't see it when choosing the takeover option.

I did get around the issue by granting my admin account a Power BI license then adding my standard user admin privs. 

Hi @ptr,

In your scenario, you can't change ownership of the gateway. You can use the admin account to sign up a Power BI pro trial account, then use my steps to share the gateway to your user account.

Alternatively, when you log in the server with user account, create gateway using a different name.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors