Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relative Date not showing in Slicer visualization ... (Power BI service)

I have a date field, which contains all dates... If I drop it onto a report, and set the visualisation to slicer, the only options I get from the drop down are 

"Between"

"Before"

"After"

"List"

"Dropdown"

(all of which work fine/as expected)

I was expecting to see "Relative"... what am I doing wrong?

(This post seems to indicate that it should be possible)

Thanks,
Ger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

That is too bad. Indeed, there is a workaround. I just found it minutes agoSmiley Very Happy. We can use "Page level filters" or "Report level filters". Have a look at the picture please.

Relative Date not showing in Slicer visualization.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

The “Relative” isn’t in Power BI Service by now. It’s a preview feature of May release of Desktop. You could reference here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

There is a workaround. Change the slicer to "Relative" in Desktop, then publish to Service. It will work. Please have a try.

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response @v-jiascu-msft

I was hoping you wouldnt say that Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

To be honest, I have my entire set of dashboards/reports done through Power BI Service which was a hell of a lot of work, and I dont want to start using Power BI Desktop now as it would be too much of a change. 

Any idea when relative dates will be available in Power BI Service???? I need it really really badly. Is it on the backlog?

Thanks again,

Ger

Hi @Anonymous,

That is too bad. Indeed, there is a workaround. I just found it minutes agoSmiley Very Happy. We can use "Page level filters" or "Report level filters". Have a look at the picture please.

Relative Date not showing in Slicer visualization.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

The "Relative" will come after the preview phase. Thank you for patience.

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft 

Thanks for your patience. That would work... however, on my Power BI Service instance, for the page or report level filtering, I only get an "Advanced filter" or "Basic filter" option... there is no option for "relative". Am I doing something wrong?

Ger

Hey,

It(Relative filtering) will work only for date fields. So, make sure your field is in date format and then try.

Hope this helps!!!

@Anonymous

Hi Ger,

Only date column has that option. Please check it out. I have tested continuous and non-continuous dates. Both work fine.

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft

Hi Dale, I'm really sorry. Still not seeing Relative Date filter. I'm must be missing something obvious. In an attempt to simulate what you have in your screenshot, this is all I have done.

* 1 report

* 1 table visualisation

* 1 column in the table called "Planned Delivery Date"

* Nothing else on the report. 

* With the table visualisation selected (or not), I drag the planned Delivery date field onto the page level filter (or report level filter).

* Both reading view and edit view are only showing me Advanced and Basic filter. See image below.... thanks again for your patience.

Filtering.png

Can you explain in words what you are doing. Not entirely sure what you mean by "Only date column has that option." Do I need to setup my data model differently?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msf... Sorry for pestering you Dale... you do great work here... this would be a really useful workaround for me, but I just cant figure out what you are doing from the screenshots. Can you review my steps in my last post and let me know what I am doing wrong...? 

Thanks Dale,

Ger

@Anonymous

Hi Ger,

No problem. I will be very glad if I can help. Just a little busy. You connect the dataset in Service. So we can't manipulate it. Could you please check the source if data type of the column is "Date"? That could be the cause.

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft

Hi Dale - I'm not exactly sure how or why, but today I accidentally stumbled across the relative date field in the Page filter. I am stumped as to why I couldnt get this before because my data model didnt change. In any case, this is working good now. I have a page dedicated to "Deliveries in the next 30 days" and its working perfect. 

If I had one tip for other users trying to get the relative date slicer on the page filter, you should ensure that no other visualisations on the page are selected. I THINK thats what made the difference. 

Thank you for your assistance Dale and most importantly - your persistance in helping me. Kudos on the way!

Ger

@Anonymous

Hi Ger, It's my pleasure. So glad it worked finally. Thank you for sharing with the community.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors