Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RyCO35
Frequent Visitor

Relative Date Slicer Blank with Row Level Security Role

Hello to all,

I created a security role which limits users to their user principal name. Once published to my workspace, I added the email group and assigned their role to "viewer" and applied that same email group to the dataset security in the Power BI Service. The security role works well except for the date slicer. The relative date slicer now shows blank under the security role, but was published to show last 12 months. 

Here is my DAX for the user, based on their email log in:

DAX Security.PNG

Here is the Relative Date Slicer in Power BI Desktop:

Relative Date Slicer - PBI Desktop.PNG

Here is the Relative Date Slicer in Power BI Serivce with the security role assigned:

Relative Date Slicer - PBI Service.PNG

All of my other slicers are working perfectly under the security role in the Power BI Service, except for the date slicer. 

Thoughts, comments, concerns? Hoping you all can help. Please let me know what more I can provide?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I am going to assume that the date column is on the table that is being filtered by the RLS

Do you have a separate Date table?

If not I would suggest creating the Date table, which I am fairly certain would solve your issue.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank you GilbertQ for your reponse, I really appreciate your help!

To paint a better picture of my desktop build, I have three tables loaded into Power BI. A Date dim table, a user lookup table, and a data table. The User Lookup table does not have a date in it and is connected to the Data table by key user identification code, other than their user principal name (RLS field). The Date Dim table is connected to the data by post date. There is no direct connection to the User Lookup table and the Date Dime table.

I was looking at the table relationships and the Date Dime table is the only one that has a one to many cardinality with a cross filter direction of both. The Data table and the User Lookup table is connected by a many to many cardinality with a cross filter direction of both. Could this be the issue? Should there be an inactive relationship between the User Lookup table and the Date Dime table?

Here is the Data Table and the User Looup Table relationships:

Data and User Table Relationship Fixed.PNG

Here is the Date Dim table and the Data Table relationships:

Date and Data Table Relationship Fixed.PNG

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Hi there

Could I ask why there the cross filter is set to both between the Date and Data table?

That would certainly be causing the issue with regards to the RLS.

Change it to One to Many and see if it then works?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors