Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shamsuddeenvp
Post Patron
Post Patron

Regarding Data storage, Collaboration, Deployment

Dear,

I have couple of basic queries

• To collaborate the power BI dashboard report, is there any option to enable the access to the report, Dataset,and dashboard for them to edit incase if the dashboard dosnt cover what the user is looking for. I know 2 options (Having a work group and also upload to content pack). Where does the data saved if we us content pack? security is main concern in our org.
  • I need to share with a email distribution of my organization (I dont think we ar using Office 365 for email), it is not possible and I need to add users one by one?(itteam@abc.com)
  • What is the maximum size of the PBIX file I can publish to powerbi.com? is it 1 GB? and what if the data gets added/refreshed which is more than 1GB. How does the data refresh takes place? is it full load or incrementally?
  • Regarding the development, I will use the develoment server data sources for the development and once everything is fine, we can just changes the data source connections in gateway to get the things in production and it will change all the dashboards and datasets (which are shared also )?
  • Where does the data stored for the inmenory (import) dashboards

Thanks your help

SHamsuddeen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

• To collaborate the power BI dashboard report, is there any option to enable the access to the report, Dataset,and dashboard for them to edit incase if the dashboard dosnt cover what the user is looking for. I know 2 options (Having a work group and also upload to content pack). Where does the data saved if we us content pack? security is main concern in our org.

Work group allows group editing, and everyone gets all the changes.  A content pack allows everyone to create there own copy of the content and change themselves without impacting the content pack. The data is saved at PowerBI.com

• I need to share with a email distribution of my organization (I dont think we ar using Office 365 for email), it is not possible and I need to add users one by one?(itteam@abc.com)

If you have active directory email groups, you can use them. Otherwise individual users - yes

• What is the maximum size of the PBIX file I can publish to powerbi.com? is it 1 GB? and what if the data gets added/refreshed which is more than 1GB. How does the data refresh takes place? is it full load or incrementally?

1GB as of is week. If the refresh forces more than 1 GB, firstly you have a lot of data and 2, the refresh will fail. It is always loaded with a delete and full replace approach.  You can either use a gateway or push a power bi desktop file to PowerBI.com

• Regarding the development, I will use the develoment server data sources for the development and once everything is fine, we can just changes the data source connections in gateway to get the things in production and it will change all the dashboards and datasets (which are shared also )?

Yes, just change the source in your queries

• Where does the data stored for the inmenory (import) dashboard

in the cloud at PowerBI.com

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Work group allows group editing, and everyone gets all the changes.  A content pack allows everyone to create there own copy of the content and change themselves without impacting the content pack. The data is saved at PowerBI.com

If you have active directory email groups, you can use them. Otherwise individual users - yes

1GB as of is week. If the refresh forces more than 1 GB, firstly you have a lot of data and 2, the refresh will fail. It is always loaded with a delete and full replace approach.  You can either use a gateway or push a power bi desktop file to PowerBI.com

Yes, just change the source in your queries

• Where does the data stored for the inmenory (import) dashboard

in the cloud at PowerBI.com

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors