Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing the report on PowerBI Service is not picking the updated Blob File

Hi All,

I built reports in PowerBI Desktop using a .xlsx file that I am reading from the Azure Blob. Published it on the PowerBI service. If the file in the blob is updated, and I refresh the report in PowerBI desktop it is reflecting the changes. But when the refresh is being done on the PowerBI service, it is not picking the updated file unless I publish it from the PowerBI Desktop. I was expecting the report on the PowerBI service to be picking the updated file just like how it is working on Desktop. Is there a way I can get this functionality? Or Am I missing something while dealing with Blob files & PowerBI? 

Regards,
CB 

8 REPLIES 8
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you install the gateway? if you just refersh the dataset , it won't sync the changes, you'll need the gateway which works like a brige connecting the on-premises file with cloud. 

Please refer to the official document to install gateway: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Also here's solved post might helpful: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Azure-blob-refresh/td-p/189733

Best regards,
Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-diye-msft, thank you for the response. 

This is my case explained step by step.

1. My source file to the PowerBI reports is an Excel file in Azure Blob

2. Built the report in PowerBI desktop and published to service

3. On the service, with Pro license, I have the option to schedule refresh for a maximum of 8 times in a day. So I scheduled refresh for 8 times. And it is refreshing as per the schedule where it also picks up the updated source file from Blob (All of these without a gateway).

But, when I refresh on demand - it is not picking the updated source.  So, as per your suggestions, I included the dataset in an existing gateway and tried checking - the result is the same, on-demand refresh is not picking the updated source file nor it is giving the option to refresh more frequently. I am not sure if this is the limitation with Blob as the data source or I am missing something again. 

Regards,

CB

Hi @Anonymous ,

How did you run the on-demand refresh? did you check the refersh history, please share us more details about the error info if any.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-diye-msft ,

It was not an error that I was facing. More of a question about the functionality of refreshing for fetching file from Azure Blob storage. Only the automatic scheduled refresh is getting updated file or I go refresh on-demand in the datasets tab then it gets updated data. 

Like direct query of the DB that is on the cloud which gets data when I refresh the browser or the refresh icon on the report, that is not happening with the blob file. I was checking with the community folks and trying to understand more. 

Regards,

Chandana Basani

Hi there

Can you confirm when you have done the on-demand refresh that the underlying data has been updated?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GilbertQ 

Yeah. On-demand refresh of the dataset gets the updated file but refreshing the browser nor the refresh icon on the report page does not do so. 

I think this is the ideal functionality. We got PowerBI Premium now and I was able to schedule automatic refresh every 1 hour which solved the purpose. Thanks for all your responses. They were insightful. 

Regards,

Chandana 

Hi there

That is awesome, thanks for letting us know you found a solution to your problem

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would think that you might need the Gateway to refresh the data sitting in Azure Blog Storage?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors