Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Saifi
Frequent Visitor

Refreshing published Report on demand

Hi Community,
We created few reports that are based on queries that were built in Power BI desktop query builder. Each of those queries is getting the full set of data from a master data source that uses direct query type.
When we publish the report to Power BI service we see the reports correctly, however we can’t get the report to refresh on demand.
Anyone has an idea what is the best way to get the report to refresh as frequent as possible (Automatically or Manually)?

2 REPLIES 2

@Saifi Could describe what you mean by "refresh on demand"? Using Direct Query, you don't need to schedule any refresh as the interactions or slicers you initiate on the page will send a query back to the source. If you expect the page to just update without your interaction, that will not happen on its own.

As a side note, I just noticed there is a notification on the support.powerbi.com site

Customers using an on-premise Gateway with SQL as the data source may experience intermittent issues with refresh. As a workaround, customers can perform an on-demand refresh which should work. Engineers are engaged and investigating the issue.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Ok, let me explain more.
In my design I use one Direct Query to get all the data from my sql table. I then create new queries to copy the data from the Direct Query that i created initialy and do some calculations and aggrigations which cannot be done on the Durect Query. Once the new customized query is fully designed and have all the data and aggregations that I need, I create a report out of the customized query and publish it to the company dashboard.
The problem is the report is not populating the latest data using the on demand refresh. Isn’t it supposed to?

If you want to simplify my question, is there a way to manually refresh a report that built using a non Direct Query ? Using on demaned refresh button?

I hope I made sense explains the picture.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors