Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing pbix file from Power BI Desktop in Power BI Service

I have published a pbix file from my Power BI desktop to Power BI service. I made updates in the report and also refreshed the data in Desktop but when I refreshed it in Service, the data is not actually updating. My question now is: Is the pbix file I uploaded in Power BI Service automatically updates whenever I refresh in Power BI Desktop? Or do I have to re-publish my report on service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
magsod
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

There is no automatic update to the Power BI Service if you make changes to the local pbix file. You need to republish the file from your desktop if you want to apply the changes you have made.

Refreshing data when the report is published could require a gateway depending on what kind of data sources you use in your report. Take a look at the documentation pages for more information on refreshing data/gateway.

Br,

Magnus

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
magsod
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

There is no automatic update to the Power BI Service if you make changes to the local pbix file. You need to republish the file from your desktop if you want to apply the changes you have made.

Refreshing data when the report is published could require a gateway depending on what kind of data sources you use in your report. Take a look at the documentation pages for more information on refreshing data/gateway.

Br,

Magnus

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Magnus,

I've created a dashboard on my desktop version now published it to a shared workspace. Now, just the data in my source changes for the desktop version and the dashboards updates based on that. But these changes are not reflected on the report published online. I've also linked both via the gateway connection but I am not able to identify the issue. 

Do I need to link the dataset to shared workspace and create dashboards there? I've to publish a new report everytime becasue of this issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Magnus for the response! Additional question though, does installing a gateway require a certain license?

No, the gateway does not require any particular license if you don't plan on sharing your reports, main difference between Free an Pro user is around collaboration. 

More info here

Br,

Magnus

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much, Magnus! I'll read more in the documentation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors