Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing in PBI Service changes data significantly

Hello everybody,

I am having issues with one of my datasets. I did some minor changes on it for a report I wanted to build; afterwards I published the dataset. At first there was no problem, I built the report and published it - but when the dataset had refreshed in PBI Service, the data changed significantly: the report displays percentages, and some of those increased by a magnitude of 10^14 - but only some, not all of them. Others did apparently not change at all, and the rest changed by a magnitude of 10^1. My first thought was that there had to be issues with the data I am using; but, when I refresh the dataset locally (i.e. the .pbix on my laptop) and re-publish it, I get the correct values again. That is, until automatic refresh in PBI service has completed. And this is exactly what I do not understand: Where is the difference in whether the dataset is refreshed locally or via PBI Service? To my understanding there should be no difference at all. Has anybody experienced a similar issue and can help me out? I am totally clueless about this.

Thanks in advance,

Moritz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-cherch-msft,

thank you for answering. I was able to resolve the problem by now: I did not format the column containing the data in the query editor. When loaded into the dataset, it was auto converted to a text value - I do not know why this did not cause problems in PBI Desktop as one would expect, but only after refreshing via Service; anyway, properly formatting the column resolved the issue.

Regards

Moritz

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

Which data source did you use?For further,i would suggest you have a look at below articles.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-desktop-file-local-drive

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-cherch-msft,

thank you for answering. I was able to resolve the problem by now: I did not format the column containing the data in the query editor. When loaded into the dataset, it was auto converted to a text value - I do not know why this did not cause problems in PBI Desktop as one would expect, but only after refreshing via Service; anyway, properly formatting the column resolved the issue.

Regards

Moritz

I just came across this issue in a similar situation, was tearing my hair out for 2 days!

Knew it would be something simple like this. Thanks for solving.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors