Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gvg
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Refreshing dataset in Power BI Service

Hi folks,

I have Power BI Desktop report published to Power BI Service. The dataset refers to a database on a remote PC outside my organization.  I am looking for ways to set automatic refresh. I understand I cannot do it straight from the Power BI Service. I know I can install a Gateway on the remote PC, but this is not possible in my situation.  Is there another way to achieve this? Will it work if I install Gateway on my machine? If yes how do I do it?

Thanks for any tips.

3 REPLIES 3
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @gvg,

it would work with a gateway on your side only if the applicationserver/your_pc (where the gateway is running) is able to connect to this remote machine. 

In short either the database is in your network (or reachalbe over it) or it is accessible over the internet (e.g. AzureSQLDB).

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

The remote database is accessible from my PC. I extract data into my Power BI Desktop from it, then publish it to Power BI Service. I installed gateway on my PC, however when I try to connect my dataset from the Service by going to Dataset-Schedule Refresh, then Gateway Connection - Add to Gateway, I get "Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster."  It looks like Power BI Service is looking to connect to the remote PC directly, not to the Gateway in my PC 😞

Hi @gvg ,

Please check if you can get data when connect to remote database in your machine. And check the authentication, server name, database name and etc. in gateway. You could reference the following document to collect logs from the on-premises data gateway app.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-tshoot

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors