Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

backcheck

Refreshing data issue.

Hey all - major issues here that I can't seem to figure out.  Hoping it's an easy fix.

I have an excel spreadsheet I store on OneDrive for Business.  I created a PoewrBi dashboard to show some of the cells.  Works great.  Except it won't refresh.  The reports shows the excel sheet and the correct information, but the dashboard won't update.  Even if I click on refresh now, it won't refresh.  The dashboard shows old data, as if it's not reading from the current sheet.

Please help!

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Is the date set updating? Are you seeing any errors when you go into the Schedule Refresh area? Generally if there is a problem with the refresh some sort of error will show up there. Did you upload it from OneDrive or "Connect"?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the response.  It's quite odd.  No errors.  The report is linked to OneDrive for Business.  No errors there when I view the report.  

The issue seems to be the 2 dashboard tiles I made from the report.  I view the report and the report shows the correct number based on the formula (it's a fomula that calculates the value based on the day, so it should change daily, and it does in the report view).   However, when I go to dashboard that's to show that cell, it shows the old data; even if I click the refresh dashboard tiles manually.  

I'm at a complete loss here.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 1.53.19 PM.png I've attached an image of my sidebar for help -

So, did you apply any filters to your report prior to pinning the tile to the dashboard. Once you pin a dashboard tile, it retains the filter context of the visual/report at the time of pinning the tile. This may seem odd, but is intended to allow you to enhance/change the report without affecting the tile. However, if you had filtered the tile/report by the latest date in the data let's say and then pinned the tile and then update the data, the report and dashboard would behave exactly as you describe.

Not saying that is what is going on, but this does tend to cause confusion for people.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I applied no filters.  I view the report, selected the cells, and chose to "pin it".  That's all I did.

What is interesting is that it seems that perhaps the tile refresh is based on the file save date?  It seems that if I go in to the Excel file on One Drive - and save it - and then refresh - that it works.  It's almost as if there is some sort of logic that says ---  if file.save.date is unchanged then don't refresh....  but if file.save.date is changed, then it will refresh. This makes no sense to me.  Given I have formulas that update based on dates, this makes it difficult (e.g. =COUNTIF(B3:B1000,TODAY()-1)   )  - so even though the file may not be new or saved, the value of the cell will change based on the day.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors