Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brunborg
Frequent Visitor

Refreshing data from REST API works on Desktop, fails on Service

I'm using PowerBI to retrieve data from a REST API, and this works fine on Desktop but fails to refresh (either scheduled or manual) on Service, using Anonymous access. 

Untitled.png

The code is 

auth = "Basic " & Binary.ToText(Text.ToBinary("user:pwd", BinaryEncoding.Base64)),
    fields = "{""result"":""*""}",
    url = "https://<url>",
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url, [Query=[pageNumber="1", limit="2000", sort="key(DS)"], Headers=[Authorization=auth,Fields=fields]])),

I am able to refresh a different data source using Basic auth with the same username/password, however I need to use the [fields] option to define which fields the response should return - so I need the Anonymous. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @brunborg ,

I think it's this error is not releated to the headers (fields). Basically the autentication is you are handling with your side using your own Basic Autentication from the Power Query. If you choose the Anonymous it will override all the autentication in your report. Can you just try to use a gateway for your case ?

Using the gateway,there is an option called Skip Connection.

6.2.JPG

You can also follow my article for the reference, which I've dealt with the same sort of process.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Gateway-Monitoring-amp-Administrating-Part-...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @brunborg ,

I think it's this error is not releated to the headers (fields). Basically the autentication is you are handling with your side using your own Basic Autentication from the Power Query. If you choose the Anonymous it will override all the autentication in your report. Can you just try to use a gateway for your case ?

Using the gateway,there is an option called Skip Connection.

6.2.JPG

You can also follow my article for the reference, which I've dealt with the same sort of process.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Gateway-Monitoring-amp-Administrating-Part-...

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks for posting this solution I managed to refresh in power bi service only time will tell if the fresh data will pull through but have been working on this issue for days, 

the blog post says when you enter your credentials in settings then you are overiding your authentication method in power query, so you need to create a gateway connection with skip test selected. 

Thank you, very helpful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors