Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing data does seem to work after PBI Desktop update

Hi,

Since the august or september update of PBI Desktop when I refresh the data in my workbook it won't refresh the data.

It seems it stays stuck in the "Making Connection To The Model"* message.

I have quite a few tables (20+), all with the same message, and some contain over a million rows but in the past I never had problem with it apart from the loading time being near an hour. 

The automatic refresh on PowerBI.com still runs fine within 15 minutes.

I have not changed any gateway setting or major changes to any of the table (not to table names or colom names)

Datasource is mainly sql database with 3 Excel documents which have not been changed.

Anyone with a clue what might be the problem

*I am using Dutch settings so not sure if this is the correct message in English

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

So the refresh is working fine on Power BI Service and it's keeping stuck in the "Making Connection" on Power BI Desktop? I'm using October version application and the refresh is working fine. First of you will need to check if Power BI Desktop can connect to the database. Then you could try Increasing Maximum connections per data source, Clearing Cache or upgrading the application to the latest version to check if the situation exists.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @v-jayw-msft 

I have checked my finding by selecting only the smaller tables and that works fine. Only that in the past you could monitor the number of rows of each table that had been loaded in the model and now it is just stuck the "Making Connection" message. Also took me a lot more time than I had expected. Could it be the message of how many rows that were loaded does no longer appear in the oktober release and the loading proces is handled differently which in some cases like mine it just takes longer to load tables into a model?

I will try your suggestions later and leave my laptop running during the evening and see if and how long it takes to load the entire model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors