Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

cren
Frequent Visitor

Refreshing a report works from Desktop version, but not on the online service

Hello All,

I have recently been working with some survey data from googlesheets and have used this dataset by using "get data" from a web source in my Power BI desktop app. I now have a report I like with the features I want and published it to my workspace online.

However, now when I add any new entries to my form in googlsheets, all my data in my desktop report updates when I refresh, but not for my published online report. I really don´t want to have to keep on republishing. I tried refreshing the data in my datasets category online too to no avail.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cren

When clicking on the "Refresh" button in Power BI Desktop, data will refresh for desktop file but not for report and dataset within Power BI Service.

Here you can see the difference between the "Refresh" button in Power BI Desktop and "Refresh" for Power BI Service

To get refresh on Power BI Service site,

You need download and install a on-premises gateway on your server,

Download and install On-premises data gateway

then connect the web source to the gateway, 

Manage data source

next configure schedule refresh for that dataset,

Configuring scheduled refresh

so that you can both have a manual or schedule refresh form the Power BI Service.

Understanding data refresh

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cren

When clicking on the "Refresh" button in Power BI Desktop, data will refresh for desktop file but not for report and dataset within Power BI Service.

Here you can see the difference between the "Refresh" button in Power BI Desktop and "Refresh" for Power BI Service

To get refresh on Power BI Service site,

You need download and install a on-premises gateway on your server,

Download and install On-premises data gateway

then connect the web source to the gateway, 

Manage data source

next configure schedule refresh for that dataset,

Configuring scheduled refresh

so that you can both have a manual or schedule refresh form the Power BI Service.

Understanding data refresh

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture.PNG

I have a similiar question. I have noticed that this refresh button does nothing, except pretend that it's trying to fetch data from the data source. I expected it to act as if it's "refresh now" found in the dataset section. The only way I can refresh the data in my reports is by doing a "refresh now". Could you explain the difference? I am connecting to an on-premises datasource with import option.

Hi Maggie,

Thank you very much for the repy and the link to the document page explaining the difference between a refresh on each version of the platform.

I followed the link to the on-premis datagateway, selected business gateway (not the personal one), and watched as the installer finished only to see an error saying it was installed correctly. I tried installing again and saw the same process and now when I try to install the application, I get the same error message each time with.

"Parece que está intentando reinstalar. Desinstale primero la versión actual.", meaning that the first time it must have somehow been installed, but is not functional as I can´t open anything or link as seen in the tutorial videos by Microsoft. I also can´t find where the application is now in my computer, only the installer I downloaded from the link.

Any tips or advice on the problem at hand? I see that a few other individuals have had similar problems, but I don´t believe that I match their case exactly and furthermore, the link from the error message explaining more is a 404 dead end with a page no longer active.

Update. I later after closing the installer got a new message asking me to reinstall the application with the correct configuration, which I accepted. However, for some reason, no new window opened nor did anything else happen after I clicked accept after this screen. And then the process simply loops again with an error occuring even if I try accepting with the new configuration

Datagateway installation error.PNG

zapps
Frequent Visitor

Hi Cren,

Have you installed a personal gateway?  This may be the issue if your Dataset is not refreshing on the online report. 

You can go here to download the gateway: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, you scheduled a data refresh in the Service and it is not working?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Not yet. I would like to in the future. But for now, I just used a manual refresh on both the dataset and the report on the online service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors