Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing a report on the PBI Service

Hi,

1. I created a report on the PBI Desktop which is on my local drive.
  2. I published the report to the PBI Service.
  3. I made changes to the Desktop PBI file.
  4. I want to refresh the version that is on the PBI Service (not to re-publish)
  5. I cannot install a gateway.

Is there a way?

Thanks,

Tamir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

What is your data source? If you connect to files such as Excel, CSV, you put files to OneDrive or SharePoint Online. This way, after you publish Power BI Desktop file  to Power BI Service, it doesn't require gateway to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service.

Otherwise, you would need to re-publish PBIX file. If you don't want to manually re-publish PBIX file, you can leverage Power BI REST APIs to automatically publish PBIX file.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

What is your data source? If you connect to files such as Excel, CSV, you put files to OneDrive or SharePoint Online. This way, after you publish Power BI Desktop file  to Power BI Service, it doesn't require gateway to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service.

Otherwise, you would need to re-publish PBIX file. If you don't want to manually re-publish PBIX file, you can leverage Power BI REST APIs to automatically publish PBIX file.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want the (non-data) changes you made in PBI Desktop then the only way is to re-publish it to PBI Service.

The data in PBI reports in PBI Service can only be refreshed by Scheduled Refreshes (via data gateway) or manually refresh the data in PBI Desktop and re-publish the report to the cloud.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors