Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing a report intermittently returns incomplete dataset

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with published reports intermittently ending up with incomplete datasets when the report is refreshed through the Power BI service. It's similar to the issue in this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Blank-Reports-on-Refresh/td-p/184998

I have a report that works perfectly fine in the desktop application. The report contains 4 different queries that hit a SQL Server database and one query that hits a Teradata database. It might be worth mentioning that the Teradata connection is using the ODBC connector since the "native" Teradata connector didn't work. We're using an on-premises data gateway to feed data to the Power BI service.

Everything works fine when I first publish the report to Power BI. When the report is refreshed through the service -- either scheduled or on-demand -- about half of the time, I end up with an incomplete set of data. Specifically, it's supposed to have about 6 months' worth of data, but when I download the .pbix file and check the raw data, it ends around the 3 month mark. Despite that, the refresh history says everything executed successfully.

The weirdest part is I might refresh it once through the portal and it will fail to get all the data, but if I refresh it again less than a minute later, it then works! And if I do it again a third time, it might break again! It doesn't make any sense to me.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any luck fixing it? Let me know if there's any additional information I can provide to help diagnose the issue!

15 REPLIES 15

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors