Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing a report intermittently returns incomplete dataset

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with published reports intermittently ending up with incomplete datasets when the report is refreshed through the Power BI service. It's similar to the issue in this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Blank-Reports-on-Refresh/td-p/184998

I have a report that works perfectly fine in the desktop application. The report contains 4 different queries that hit a SQL Server database and one query that hits a Teradata database. It might be worth mentioning that the Teradata connection is using the ODBC connector since the "native" Teradata connector didn't work. We're using an on-premises data gateway to feed data to the Power BI service.

Everything works fine when I first publish the report to Power BI. When the report is refreshed through the service -- either scheduled or on-demand -- about half of the time, I end up with an incomplete set of data. Specifically, it's supposed to have about 6 months' worth of data, but when I download the .pbix file and check the raw data, it ends around the 3 month mark. Despite that, the refresh history says everything executed successfully.

The weirdest part is I might refresh it once through the portal and it will fail to get all the data, but if I refresh it again less than a minute later, it then works! And if I do it again a third time, it might break again! It doesn't make any sense to me.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any luck fixing it? Let me know if there's any additional information I can provide to help diagnose the issue!

15 REPLIES 15
pdacheva
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi all,

I see this thread is quite old, but it seems that this issue is back. Few of my clients reported the same issue with Power BI Service for the last month. While the Datasets are being refreshed, the Reports show weird results and partial data from the dataset.

The report is consumed globally, hence it might be viewed in AMS,AOA and Europe - a.k.a 24 hours. 

For this reason, setting up a different time for the Dataset refresh does not really "solve" the problem.

Do you have an idea whether this issue has been logged for the Power BI team?

Are there any workarounds?

Thanks!

Petya

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, same issue here with PostgreSQL source. Has anyone found a permanent fix?
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it's worth, I ran into this issue even though I was NOT using merge or append.

Interesting... thanks for sharing.

Hello all.. after installing August desktop app AND August on-premises gateway, no more issues.

MikeHawryluk
Helper I
Helper I

@Anonymous I am seeing the same behaviour on certain complex but not necessarily large reports.  I see that Microsoft are saying that the situation is resolved (in the O365 admin portal)  but I am still seeing the same issue.  In this case the source is PostgreSql.  

Seems to be related to "Merge" and "Append" query steps...

Looks like there's a new version (08/07/18) of Desktop available for download, but haven't checked is issue is fixed: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

Data load seems to be working correctly in new version, but PBI service is still showing incomplete data after republishing. Man Mad

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

If you refresh on desktop, did this report up to date? If this is a case, I think power bi service may not update your source data in pbix file so you need to manually refreshed.

In addition, have you turned on incremental refresh feature? It seems like current power bi service contains a known issue on incremental refresh, you can take a look at support page to known more about this.

Regards,

Xaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. When I refresh in the desktop application, it always works perfectly. Refreshing through the Power BI service is the only place I run into problems. Strangely, the problem seems to be getting worse. I used to get a proper refresh about half of the time; now it's a lot less.

My report is not using the incremental refresh feature, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Hi @Anonymous,

My organization is facing the same problem for a majority of our reports. Using either manual refreshes or scheduled refresh will cause the same problem.

Could you check something for me? Once you have a partial loaded file, download it from the service and open it via Desktop. Go into each query via the Data section and see how many rows are being returned. I notice that some of my queries will be stopped at 1000 or 2000 rows (exact numbers, not a range). Do you experience the same thing?

FYI I have raised this with support and am documenting this problem via the Issues section of the forums as well.

Best,
Carter

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carterfritz001-- In the time since making my original post, I gave up and redesigned my report to use a different data source. Unfortunately, I no longer have a copy of the intermittently-broken report.

Initially I thought I was experiencing the opposite problem, but it turns out both desktop AND PBI service are not working correctly for me. When using desktop app, refresh yields a fraction rows (approx. 16,000 vs. 1,750,000 and usually just a few random dates) from on-premises SQL server... I also have a ticket into support.

FWIW, I am getting some odd behaivior during "Merge Queries" steps. For example, I am merging a small table (71 rows) to the large (1,7500,000 row) table and configuration now says ALL 1,750,000 rows are a match. Anyone else have merges? And if so, look at their column joins?

If it helps, there may be some helpful replies on this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Desktop-Query-Not-Fully-Loading/td-p/479974/highli...

Best of luck to all.

(reverting back to June 2018 desktop version solves issue)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors