Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abedkhooli
Frequent Visitor

Refreshing a Restful Data Source with API Key

I have a REST API data source which I connected to successfully from Power BI Desktop (using Feb. version).  When I publish to service (free), I can't refresh: "Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again".

In the Data Source Credentials / edit credentials, I have 3 options: anonymous, windows and basic. No option to enter key.

In desktop, I finally used (had to use parameters as a work around for refresh and #"param" for the "-" char):

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api......./messages/topic", 
[RelativePath = "/.....141", ApiKeyName = "api-key", 
Query = [#"start-date" = dt5, #"end-date" = dt2 ] ])),

and entered the key in the interface (web api). I also tried sending it in header: Headers=[Authorization="api-key <key>"]. 

Is refresh for this scenario supported in service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @abedkhooli,

Based on my research,  using the ApiKeyName option isn't supported in the Power BI service .

And if the root URL of the your api works with anonymous access, you can publish the report that uses the Headers option to pass an API key and the refresh should work in Power BI Service. However, if your root URL returns error with anonymous access, refresh in Power BI Service will fail, you can use fso’s workaround that execute the query elsewhere and connect Power BI to that as a data source.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @abedkhooli,

Based on my research,  using the ApiKeyName option isn't supported in the Power BI service .

And if the root URL of the your api works with anonymous access, you can publish the report that uses the Headers option to pass an API key and the refresh should work in Power BI Service. However, if your root URL returns error with anonymous access, refresh in Power BI Service will fail, you can use fso’s workaround that execute the query elsewhere and connect Power BI to that as a data source.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-yuezhe-msft for the tip. I just kept the root part of the url (public but redirects to html file) and add the rest to relative path. so, it reads:

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.***.io/", 
[RelativePath = "v1/*****141", Headers=[Authorization="api-key 42****c4"],
Query = [#"start-date" = dt5, #"end-date" = dt2 ] ])),

When published to service, it did not refresh at first and gave same error. However, went to settings and edit credentials, signed in as anonymous (accepted) and it worked. Hopefully, this will be sorted out in future updates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors