Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing Data Connected to Website

Hi,

I have a report on the Power BI Service that uses a website scrape as a data source. This website data changes frequenly and I want it to reflect those changes in my shared reports/dashboards. However, when I hit refresh in the Power BI Service, nothing changes. If I refresh it in the desktop it works.

Do I need a gateway configured for a website scrape?

4 REPLIES 4
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi SeanHenderson, 

You said when you refresh, nothing change in web service.  You could check Setting->dataset to see whether it prompt to configure gateway, it will show like below, you don't need to configure a gateway

279.PNG

In addition, which refresh button did you click , in dataset or in report? You could try to click the "refresh now " in dataset to see whether it works or not. Or you also could wait a mement to see whether this is casued by delay.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dax 

I clicked refresh now in the dataset, that's where the error occured. It says that I do need a gateway. Is this normal, do you need a data gateway to refresh from a public website?

Also, I configured the gateway by adding the website, but still got an error when trying to refresh:

image.png

Can anyone please clarify this for me? Can you not connect a data source to a public website and then have it refresh? And if you do need to configure a gateway, what am I doing wrong?

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi SeanHenderson, 

According to your error informaion(this seems occur in table 8), did you use refresh schedule or refresh now? If you use refresh now, will it work? I test this in my environment(I use anonymous), it could work.

If you use refresh schedule, you could check whether this occur by accident or occur each time(check this in refresh history). Or did you use specific function which might not be support in service? 

You could refer to Troubleshooting refresh scenarios for details.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dax 

I used Refresh Now. 

It is a problem with way the gateway is configured I think.

Does anyone have experience configuring a gateway for refreshing data pulled from a website?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors