Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh schedule for report

Hi all,

I have a .pbix file on my local pc which uses a connector to Exact Online in order to retrieve sales information.

I've shared this .pbix file to our workspace and with multiple colleagues. Currently I have to refresh my .pbix file in order to update the report in the workspace.

Is there a way to automate this? I'd like to schedule a refresh or something like that. But is there a way to do that instead of opening the file and refreshing it manually? Or would it be reccommended to place the file on a server and create a task schedule which opens the file and refreshes it..

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

If the gateway does not support the connector you used, you can not set schedule refresh for the datasets.

Maybe you you can try onedrive refresh.

In this case, you need store the pbix on onedrive or sharepoints, and then get data from the pbix stored in onedrive.

If the pbix is updated, please overwrite the pbix on onedrive, the power bi service will automatically check for updates every hour.

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I imported the .pbix file from OneDrive and set it to the hourly refresh. Not sure if the file itself will also do a refresh on the connector if you understand what I mean. It imports data from a software package, but I'm curious if the OneDrive refresh only refreshes the current data in the .pbix and won't let the connector refresh.

Hi @Anonymous,

It doesn't refresh the connector, it only refreshes the latest data of the pbix file in onedrive.
In your case, you need to overwrite the pbix file manually to achieve the effect of refreshing, automatic refreshing is not supported currently in Power BI.

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-xulin-mstf 

So in my case there is no way of automatically refreshing the connector? I think openening the .pbix and refreshing it in the file will be the only option then.

Maybe I'll set up a script which opens the file every morning and start a refresh on the connector. 

Thanks for the assistance!

Hi @Anonymous,

Okay, if my workaround helps you, please adopt the solution to help others. Thanks! 😉

Best Regards,

Link

Karljr
Frequent Visitor

You need to set up a gateway.  I would suggest the enterprise gateway so your machine does not have to be on all the tiem to connect to the gateway. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thansk @Karljr 

Would this be sufficient?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

EDIT: I setup a presonal gateway, but does the system which contains the file need to be running in order to refresh if I use a schedule? Or is there a file saved in app.powerbi.com?

yes thats what you need. 

Yes system has to be up to do the refresh.  thats why I suggested the enterprise gateway not personal. 

I have a sql server, SSRS in the cloud.  I put my enterprise gateway on that server so it is running all the time.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. 

Unfortunately the gateway does not support the connector I am using. I think I should look for an alternative option in order to refresh the file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors