Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sunanda85
Frequent Visitor

Refresh report on Power BI service

Hi all,

Is refresh now works for report users on Power BI service. I have already scheduled overnight refreshes for the report, but wondering whether it works real-time?

One of the users tried to refresh the report; report is connected to Online smartsheet and after making changes, when clicked on "Refresh", it should refresh immediately, but it didnt. Is this functionality available for free users?

Appreciate early response on this.

Thanks.

Sunanda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

If they are free users, then as far as I am aware they will not be able to refresh the data source, only the report authors

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It would depend on where the user clicked Refresh, was it within the report? If so the report only refreshes the report cache and not the underlying dataset.

If you click refresh now on the dataset that will then go and refresh the data from the source. With Power BI Pro/Free you only get 8 refreshed a day.

Power BI Blog

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. Those users are free users and do not have access to the workspace, so only option left to refresh report real-time is click on 'Refresh' within the report. Does that not reflect changes done in data values in the dataset? If not what gets refreshed, sorry what do we mean by refresh of report cache?

Is there any way these users with free license can refresh the report real-time? or only the report author with access to workspace can refresh it?

Thanks,

Sunanda

Hi there

If they are free users, then as far as I am aware they will not be able to refresh the data source, only the report authors

Power BI Blog

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors