Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

david_obrien1

Refresh published report in service

Hi all,

I have a report created in Power BI Desktop that loads a few JSON files from a private github repo.

That all works well.

However, I'd love to somehow have this report refresh automatically (on a schedule), so that it picks up changes made to those JSON files.

It seems like the JSON and Web connectors don't support data refresh though. I believe that this means that I will, daily, have to refresh the data on my desktop and then publish the new report.

Is there no other, better, way to achieve an up to date report?

Thanks,

David

8 REPLIES 8
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @david_obrien1 ,
I don't know where you got that from, but there is absolutely no limitation of web refresh with regards to the JSON format. Any limitation must come from something else.
If you google problems with dynamic datasources Power Query refreshes you find a couple of hints and workarounds.
It's probably due to the fact that your query is different to what you have posted above.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

It's literally in the error message that says that the query doesn't support this.

Or what does that error message mean?

There is a table on learn.microsoft.com that also shows all the connectors and says that web and JSON don't support refresh.

The published query is identical to the one I posted. Not sure why you'd think it's different.

I'm confused that the error says it's not possible and you saying it is possible.

There is a table on learn.microsoft.com (which I can't find right now, I'm on the phone) that also shows all the connectors and says that web and JSON don't support refresh.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @david_obrien1 ,
you cannot configure this in PBI Desktop, but must do it in the service. So publish you report to the service and then follow the instructions here: Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ah okay, when checking there it looks like this, which kind of brings me back to my original post.

It seems like JSON / Web queries do not support automatic / scheduled refresh.

david_obrien1_0-1666607302801.png

I'd be interested in a workaround for that. Surely there has to be a way to achieve this.

I even tried just clicking "refresh now" in the service or refreshing the dataset via REST API and I get the following error:

This dataset includes a dynamic data source. Since dynamic data sources aren't refreshed in the Power BI service, this dataset won't be refreshed. Learn more: https://aka.ms/dynamic-data-sources.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @david_obrien1 ,
do you get an error-message (and if so: what does it say?) or is the scheduled refresh simply greyed out?

I am a bit surprised that the query works without without an API key if it sits in a private repo, tbh.

I don't get an error message and can't configure data refresh because I don't even know where to configure this.

If I go to File -> Options and Settings -> Data source settings I only see this.

david_obrien1_0-1666565983590.png

I found this article here (Skip Test Connection for On-premises and Cloud Data Sources | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Po...) and my Power BI Desktop looks completely different. I don't see any of those dialogues.

The query works using Basic authentication. I do provide the GitHub PAT.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @david_obrien1 ,
there is a workaround that might work for you:
(1) Workaround - Power BI - Web content refresh - Data Gateway | LinkedIn

That doesn't seem to help.

Here's the query I'm already using.

let
    json = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/davidobrien1985/repoName/file.json")),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromRecords({json}),
    #"Expanded history" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Converted to Table", "history"),
    #"Expanded history1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded history", "history", {"numberOfRoles", "numberOfOperations", "date"}, {"history.numberOfRoles", "history.numberOfOperations", "history.date"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded history1",{{"numberOfRoles", Int64.Type}, {"numberOfOperations", Int64.Type}, {"history.numberOfRoles", Int64.Type}, {"history.numberOfOperations", Int64.Type}, {"history.date", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

The repo that hosts the json file is private, but it's on the internet. The query works. The only thing it doesn't want to do is automatically refresh (on a schedule).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors