Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danielcontente
Helper II
Helper II

Refresh published report from power bi desktop

Hi All, 

So i have PBI Pro, and i have published a report to My Workspace.

However, when I make some change in the Desktop document, the change doesnt appear in the published report in my workspace.

I have tried refreshing data etc..

In summary, i want to be able to edit and make changes in the document on my desktop, and those changes appear in the published document, so then other people can see it, without having to re-publish it.

Is there any way to do so?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @danielcontente ,

If you change the visuals of report in your local Desktop PBI file  , the visuals will not be automatically updated to the service .So you can only republish the pbix file to the service again.

But if you change the data in data source (Google Analytics) , you can update the data automatically through data refresh without having to republish it .

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @danielcontente ,

If you change the visuals of report in your local Desktop PBI file  , the visuals will not be automatically updated to the service .So you can only republish the pbix file to the service again.

But if you change the data in data source (Google Analytics) , you can update the data automatically through data refresh without having to republish it .

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@danielcontente 

Changes made in your local Desktop PBI file will not automatically reflect in the published report. You need to publish. However, if you store your file in OneDrive or SharePoint Online, the changes will sync with the published file every hour. This could be a solution for your case.

Please refer to this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Hi @Fowmy 

Thanks for getting in touch.
I have tried this solution, meaning the file is stored in One Drive, but still the changes dont sync with the published file, even after refreshed completed.

Important notice that the data source is Google Analytics, and the credentials are entered correctly etc...

Do you have any guess?

@danielcontente 

Hope you read the article I shared. It updates after an hour, I think you tried in less than one hour. Also, your file has to be in OneDrive for Business.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Hi @Fowmy i definitely read it and i waited for even longer than an hour.
The file is in a business drive; but still doesnt sync with the published.

Maybe there is something to do with the gateway?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors