Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mulder2542
Frequent Visitor

Refresh only works once, then runs out of memory

When working with a relatively big dataset (50M+ records), I've run into the situation where the initial refresh (after publishing) works fine every time, but any subsequential refresh, either scheduled or on demand, runs out of memory. It's not a complex dataset and a successful refresh takes about 2 hours.

What can be the reason for this? Is the initial refresh transforming/processing the data (cache? indexing?) somehow, so it takes up more memory in the following updates? 

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It sounds like you are reaching the limits. Maybe the first time with the publish is not considering the limitations of refreshing at Power Bi Service. You have a limit of 2 hours to refresh and a maximum of 1gb model size. Then a single table size can't be of 10gb before starting the transformations either. You might have one of those limitations. If it's a memory one it might be that you have a big size model. I would suggest watching some videos about performance tunning or downsizing dataset. There are some keys like building a good data model and other practices.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks for your reply (and sorry for my late reply). After talking with some colleagues, I've been told that the issue is that the initial refresh uses less memory because Power BI apparently keeps the old data fully cached during the refresh, so it basically will use twice the amount of memory when a dataset is already in the workspace. Maybe somebody here can confirm this?

Make sense. I don't think I have read that in the doc ever, but that's how Azure Analysis Services usually works by default. It saves a backup the second type in case it fails you can still check the previous refresh data. So the first time it's a somehow smaller the amount of memory.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors