Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mliljenberg
Frequent Visitor

Refresh from powerbi desktop and upload to powerbi.com without breaking dashboards connection?

We are having loads of problems with uploaded pbix files to powerbi.com, data can be updated whilst on powerbi desktop, but after uploading to powerbi.com it can now longer be refreshed due to various different errors that are hard to troubleshoot due to lack of documentation and support.

We have several clients where we have created data sets in powerbi desktop and that we now need to create dashboards for sales teams etc, this doesn't work because we cannot update them in powerbi.com. This means that we cannot really use dashboard which is what the clients are looking for.

Whilst Microsoft are hard at work ironing out bugs and documentation for this great product, we are trying to find a workaround. Scheduled refresh are nice however we could live without them for now if the we would be able to somehow refresh the dataset from power bi desktop without breaking the dashboard linkage, does anyone know if there is any way achieve that?

I/E upload a pbix file that is updated, create tailored dashboard based on that(hours of work) and then update the dataset by refreshing from the powerbi desktop app and upload the same dataset again, updating the dashboards in the process. If there is no way then we are pretty much stuck as updates from powerbi.com just won't work.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

have you tried using Personal Gateway ?

Hello Ahsankhawaja,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, for some of the data sets there is a personal gateway configured, with all credentials updated and seemingly working.

This happens though for in total 4 datasets.

Dataset 1: Dynamics crm Online and Azure Sql no gateway required, fails in refresh only in powerbi.com works in desktop

Dataset 2: Dynamics crm, two different Azure SQL, two Excel files on Onedrive- Requires gateway, configured and tested in on total 4 different machins windows 2012 R2, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, fails in refresh only in powerbi.com works in desktop

Dataset 3: Only Excelfiles stored in Onedrive, gateway setup and working, fails in refresh only in powerbi.com works in desktop

Dataset 4: Dynamics crm, two Azure SQL, Excel in Onedrive, fails in refresh only in powerbi.com work in desktop.

Different errors on the different datasets for example(I haven't found anything to explain these so that they can be solved and support and documentation is hard to get at this point, therefore I am thinking of getting a "refresh workaround" so dashboards can be updated from a powerbi desktop update.:)

Processing Error:The operation is canceled by user.
Cluster URI:WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity Id:bb65b1ff-12c5-48b1-9979-5372712fdaf5
Request Id:7b1f4ae5-25b7-4d4d-a2dd-fc8765df05a8
Time:2015-08-11 18:04:19Z

Processing Error:The following system error occurred: Type mismatch.
Activity Id:589dce12-af2b-4942-971c-e0ccfdd252f7
Request Id:b7e87a27-d30d-e65d-dcb1-953dcf891134
Time:2015-08-11 17:10:18Z

Processing Error:Cannot decrypt the credential for data source NewPbiDataSource_d3da28bf-75dc-4e1c-9c0c-acea9b9b7887. The credential is missing or the certificate is changed. Please make sure the certificate has not been changed since it is configured in gateway management console.
Activity Id:099499ff-527e-7783-1ed8-b58006e1b87a
Request Id:26854f12-2417-b826-784a-a42859e2ce98
Time:2015-08-12 08:35:38Z

Are the failures for all of the data sources in the data sets or just specific ones? I have had excellent success with CRM Online data refreshes although I am using the content pack for it.

I have also had good success with Excel files stored locally, not so much on network drives and haven't tried OneDrive specifically.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello Smoupre,

Thats just it, the error message just reads as attached and doesn't point to any data set so very hard to figure out if it one or all or even a specific part in one data set which I guess would be needed in order to troubleshoot. All data set and credentials looks ok before refreshing.

We are also using the built in CRM online data and it works fine also with refresh, also using Google analytics with success. Also the same data sources works when using other much less complex pbix files, by complex I mean renamed colums, calculations etc

I feel you on the data refresh error when there are multiple data sources. I have had to create "test" data sets that consist of one data source each and test these to determine which one is causing the problem. Another indicator that sometimes helps is that if you go to the Schedule Refresh page and look in the Credentials, sometimes the "bad" data source will have the yellow i and that's an indicator of the bad data source.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors