Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cymorg
Advocate I
Advocate I

Refresh failures - how common are they?

I have a number of reports set to refresh automatically through our data gateway.  Most of the reports refresh 2-5 times a day.  There seem to be an inordinate amount of failures - typically at least 1 failure per report per day, often more.  There is nothing wrong with the underlying datasets, and nothing wrong with the reports because if I just wait the next refresh will usually work.  I'm just wondering if this is a normal occurance?  Do others experience the same thing or should I be investigating our own network/connection?  If the refreshes are unreliable (which they seem to be) then perhaps the community can promote this post in the hope that Microsoft take a deeper look.

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cymorg ,

For your scenario, it may caused by Internet problem.

You can use Tools for troubleshooting refresh issues to get the reasons for the refresh failure. 

Best Regards,
Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@cymorg Without more information, like (why) the refreshes are failing we're kind of in the dark. I would suggest you dig into the gateway log files, you can access this on the gateway server and open the gateway application to export logs. Other questions, what are the specs on the server, how many reports are refreshing, is there server contention due to networking issues due to requests.. all these play a factor in a refresh being successful. If you do find issues, you could always spin up a gateway cluster and distribute requests across multiple gateways, I actually just blogged about that today -> https://powerbi.tips/2019/10/building-a-gateway-cluster/

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors