Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

traagy
Employee
Employee

Refresh fails, "canceled by user" "type mismatch" errors

I have a dataset in Power BI browser version queried from an Azure SQL database. The scheduled refreshes for this dataset all failed with the error "operation canceled by user." This was over the weekend and I haven't been near the database or Power BI so why would it think I canceled it?

On seeing the failures I tried refresh now. That failed too: "The following system error occurred: Type mismatch." There's no more information for me to know what exactly it's referring to as a mismatch so I don't know what I need to fix/change.

(I'm able to refresh this dataset in Power BI desktop when I click the refresh button.)

8 REPLIES 8
dwsteven

Did you found a solution for this issue?

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I have had this happen to me in the past. It was tied in to a change in the database that my data was being pulled from. I opened the pbix desktop file and refreshed the query through the query editor. Re saved the file and and then opened powerbi.com. From there, I did a manual refresh and re set the scheduled refresh. I have not had a reoccurence of the issue since then.

I hope this helps you. Keep in mind that what worked for me may not work for you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

mliljenberg
Frequent Visitor

I have exactly the same errors on two different datasets connecting to Dynamics CRM and Azure SQL, both work perfectly while running in Power BI desktop.

I don't know where to begin troubleshooting it really as the error message really doesn't tell me anything. Type mismatch=ok so is that some column somewhere having a wrong setting for datatype? Thats the best guess I can think of but here is no way of finding out what it refers to which column? which data source, needle in a haystack as it stands now. Most frustrating fact is that it works on the desktop where you could trace it and find out where the error came from...

curth
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Is it possible that the database schema has changed since the query was created?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Was the automatic refresh succeeding before and now it is not? Or was this weekend the first attempt?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

No, automatic refresh had never suceeded before. Refresh only succeeds in Power BI desktop

Did you figure out this problem?/

Did you figure out this problem?/

I have the same case.. 

Please help..

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors