Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Reza
Helper II
Helper II

Refresh fails for Excel workbook on OneDrive

Hi everyone,

I have an excel workbook that connected to an Azure database. It is working fine and refresh works. 

I then uploaded this to the OneDrive-Business of one of our account with free PowerBI services. Then in My Workspace in PowerBI I created a workbook pointing to the OneDrive excel workbook. 

On the Schedule Refresh I updated my credentials to Basic and used the username/password to connect to the Azure database.

But when I click on Manual refresh it fails. I can confirm that the refresh works from the workbook itself when I perform a refresh all.

I cannot get anything from the error details:

Last refresh failed: Thu Feb 01 2018 02:36:09 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
We couldn't connect to the data source. Check the connections settings in the data gateway.

Failed Connections:MyWorkbook
Cluster URI:WABI-UK-SOUTH-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:c315678b-56e8-7eba-0baa-9b26d6a52942
Request ID:05b89296-d348-d1dc-a38c-b8d8101c87e4
Time:2018-02-01 10:36:09Z

Does anyone had this issue or know how to fix that?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Reza,

How did you get data from the Excel file on OneDrive for business?

2.PNG

In my test, if I choose "Connect", there is no need configure data gateway for workbook refresh. And I can manually refresh the workbook successfully. As mentioned in this document, gateway is not required in case that "Power Query* is used to connect to and query data from any listed online data source and load data into the Excel data model".

3.PNG

If I choose "Import", then, a new dataset is created rather than a workbook. To enable scheduled refresh, I only need to turn on the "OneDrive refresh" option.

4.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Thanks for the reply.

I chose Connect and I deleted and added again in case I have done any mistake.

So when I go to schedule I see the credentials not set. And as you can see the Gateway is not set.

NoCredential.PNG

I then set the credentials to Basic with correct username/password of my Azure database. 

DB.PNG

Then perform manual refresh. And back to schedule I can see the errorError.PNG

If I select Import which creates Dataset then refresh works.

That's where I am struggling to understand what is the difference!

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors