Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Reza
Helper II
Helper II

Refresh fails for Excel workbook on OneDrive

Hi everyone,

I have an excel workbook that connected to an Azure database. It is working fine and refresh works. 

I then uploaded this to the OneDrive-Business of one of our account with free PowerBI services. Then in My Workspace in PowerBI I created a workbook pointing to the OneDrive excel workbook. 

On the Schedule Refresh I updated my credentials to Basic and used the username/password to connect to the Azure database.

But when I click on Manual refresh it fails. I can confirm that the refresh works from the workbook itself when I perform a refresh all.

I cannot get anything from the error details:

Last refresh failed: Thu Feb 01 2018 02:36:09 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
We couldn't connect to the data source. Check the connections settings in the data gateway.

Failed Connections:MyWorkbook
Cluster URI:WABI-UK-SOUTH-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:c315678b-56e8-7eba-0baa-9b26d6a52942
Request ID:05b89296-d348-d1dc-a38c-b8d8101c87e4
Time:2018-02-01 10:36:09Z

Does anyone had this issue or know how to fix that?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Reza,

How did you get data from the Excel file on OneDrive for business?

2.PNG

In my test, if I choose "Connect", there is no need configure data gateway for workbook refresh. And I can manually refresh the workbook successfully. As mentioned in this document, gateway is not required in case that "Power Query* is used to connect to and query data from any listed online data source and load data into the Excel data model".

3.PNG

If I choose "Import", then, a new dataset is created rather than a workbook. To enable scheduled refresh, I only need to turn on the "OneDrive refresh" option.

4.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Thanks for the reply.

I chose Connect and I deleted and added again in case I have done any mistake.

So when I go to schedule I see the credentials not set. And as you can see the Gateway is not set.

NoCredential.PNG

I then set the credentials to Basic with correct username/password of my Azure database. 

DB.PNG

Then perform manual refresh. And back to schedule I can see the errorError.PNG

If I select Import which creates Dataset then refresh works.

That's where I am struggling to understand what is the difference!

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors