Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Robert_T
Frequent Visitor

Refresh failed: "internal service error", "transient issue", "We expected a RenameOperations value"

Beginning on 11/13/20, a group of similar (same structure, different data sources) Power BI reports began experiencing similar issues with refreshing in the online Power BI service.

Each of these reports has automatically refreshed in the online Power BI service consistently without issue previously, and each of these reports continues to be able to successfully refresh in the desktop application without issue.

The text of the error message for all of the reports is consistent:

"Refresh failed:

[Report Name] has failed to refresh.
Failure details: The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error. This is usually a transient issue. If you try again later and still see this message, contact support.

We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation.;[Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value. [Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value. [Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: [Table Name].

Next refresh for [Report Name] is scheduled for November 17, 2020 18:00 UTC."

The table in question is created in a query by combining the results of two other queries (Query1 and Query2) such that the column headers in the table outputted from Query1 are renamed based on the list outputted from Query2. Power Query M code for this combinatory query is below, for reference:

"let
Source = Query1,
Reference = Query2,
renamedHeaders = Function.InvokeAfter(()=>Table.RenameColumns(Source,Reference),#duration(0,0,0,0))
in
renamedHeaders"

Please advise what actions would need to be taken to resume automatic refreshes in the online service.

10 REPLIES 10
blynchdata
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello,

Have you tried using the ALM Toolkit? 

If not, this may help connect to the Source to your local Power BI Desktop model, then the Target as the Power BI Online dataset. Then hit Compare and see if any columns or other parts of the model were renamed?

If so, you could deploy just those changes and see if you can get it synced, if that is causing it anyway. 

Hi, 

ALM Toolkit looks an interesting tool. However, I am not able to install it due my company's IT security policy (it is regarded as unsafe...).

I found a work around by moving the RenameColumns query logic to the underlying Dataflow. Then connect the dataset to query that dataflow.

It is the exact same query logic, so very strange that is works in this way, and not when part of the dataset.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions made.

@KarelSchoofs ,

To follow up on this, I wasn't able to find a direct solution to the "RenameOperations"/RenameColumns error, so I removed the RenameColumns function and used a workaround (similar to you). 

Since an earlier query involved pivoting a table such that row values became column headers, I instead created a new column by merging the reference table/list with the raw data table, then pivoted based on the new column.

Hi Robert,

Looks like a good work around.

I am still using the RenameColumns function, only now in a dataflow query.  I didn't change the query logic at all. Just copy paste from the PBI desktop query.

FYI: the dynamica columns names solution that I applied, I found from below link.

https://www.goodly.co.in/dynamic-column-names-power-query/

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Robert_T ,

I am not an M or Power Query expert. But I But I think it maybe a cause. OK, in that case perhaps @ImkeF  or @edhans have some ideas.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Robert_T
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-deddai1-msft ,

The method used in the link appears to be the same one that I am using, with the exceptions being that:

1. I am renaming multiple column headers and the example only renames a single column
  2. I establish variables for both the source table and the reference list prior to the rename function - rather than using the table and reference list directly in the function
  3. I have structured the function such that it could be easily modified to be invoked after a delay

For reference - Power Query M Code from the Advanced Editor (see my original post):

"let
Source = Query1,
Reference = Query2,
renamedHeaders = Function.InvokeAfter(()=>Table.RenameColumns(Source,Reference),#duration(0,0,0,0))
in
renamedHeaders"

Is there a nuance to the method that I am overlooking? Please note that I have tested versions of the code where items 2 and 3 from above would not apply:

"let
renamedHeaders = Table.RenameColumns(Query1,Query2)
in
renamedHeaders"

As with the original version, it will function successfully in the desktop application, but not in the online service. The error message is the same ("[Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value.").

I would also like to emphasize that the original code had previously functioned successfully through both scheduled and on-demand refreshes in the Power BI online service (from the original publish date in August 2020 until November 13, 2020).

Is there any additional troubleshooting that you would recommend?

Hi Robert,

I am experiencing the exact same problem as the one you are describing here.

The report refreshes OK in desktop, but when published the dataset refresh gives an following error: 

We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation.;[Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value. [Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value. [Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: D_EV_Data_User_Actions.

I was wondering if in the meantime, you have found a solution to this issue.

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Robert_T ,

Please refre to dynamic column name:https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dynamic-column-name-from-its-value/td-p/189442 to see if it would help.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Robert_T
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-deddai1-msft ,

I attempted a modified version of the steps that you had linked and was unsuccessful in resolving the issue. 

Reason for modification: the reports are published to the web, and I want to avoid the need for creating new links, distributing those links, etc. (especially if this is an error that may occur again in the future)

Modified version: I performed the cache-clearing steps in the desktop application, but rather than deleting the reports and datasets in the online service, I re-named the file in the desktop application and published it as a new report/dataset to a different workspace within the online service. The same error occurs.

One additional piece of information: if the dataset is refreshed on-demand within the online service, only the second part of the error message is given (the "transient issue" section is not included), leaving:

"We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation.;[Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value. [Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value. [Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: [Table Name]."

Unfortunately, though I have a Pro account, I am prevented from creating a support ticket - a message appears stating that I "Need admin approval" and "powerbi.microsoft.com needs permission to access resources in your organization that only an admin can grant. Please ask an admin to grant permission to this app before you can use it."

I will reach out to my company's IT desk to request permission. However, I would ask that you please provide additional troubleshooting options, especially with regard to the "[Expression.Error] We expected a RenameOperations value." error that is appearing.

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Robert_T ,

Would you please refer to the similar post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Refresh-Failed-Internal-Service-Error/td-p/381780?

And I also suggest you  try to open a ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors