Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh failed after publishing PBI report to workspace (Power BI Service)

Hi all, 

I have a Power BI report consuming data from an API, and it works fine in Power BI desktop.

I wanted to publish the report to Power BI Service and create dataflow so that others in my organization can consume the underlying data, ,however, the dataset cannot be refreshed once the report is published to Power BI Service. 

I've tried to fix this issue by following some of the similar issues reported in this forum, but unfortunately none of them work. Thus it'd be much appreciated if someone can give me some hint to solve this issue.

And here is the error message I got.   

*********************Error Message********************

There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

• MessageInformation is needed in order to combine data Table: ReportResults.

*********************End of Error Message********************

Some more background info

Subscription: Power BI Pro

Gateway: No gateway used for this particular report since data is extracted from external API

Data Source Privacy Setting: Orgnaizational

Other: The report contains queries that merge multiple tables and queries that invoke functions to consume data from the API

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @Anonymous 

What is the size of your PBIX file? The maximum size for datasets imported into the Power BI service is 1 GB and Power BI Service places a limit on the amount of uncompressed data that is processed during refresh to 10 GB.

If you still hit the above two limitations, you are not able to refresh dataset in Power BI Service. You can use DirectQuery/Live connection mode to connect to your data source instead, or purchase Power BI Premium license to solve this issue.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lili6-msft , 

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's a size/compression constraint issue. The size of this PBIX file is less than 1MB.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors