Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nicolas_viet
Regular Visitor

Refresh failed after change of source

Dear PowerBI-Professionals,

first of all: Thanks for your help in advance!

My problem is the following:

I‘ve created a report with PBI Desktop half a year ago, using a file in a SharePoint-Folder as the source for my dataset.

Now since we progressed in scheduled exporting data from our CRM I have installed an on-premises gateway on a machine so I can access daily updated data instead of having to exchange the files in the SharePoint-Folder manually.

This is working perfectly fine for all new reports I have designed since the gateway was installed but my older reports refuse refreshing. 

To change the source from SharePoint to Folder via Gateway I have used the Advanced Editor. Now here comes the strange thing: Manual Refresh in PowerBI Desktop is working but as soon as I publish the Report to the service there is this yellow warning notice. (Even before I try to configure a scheduled refresh).

When I click to the scheduled refresh section, I can choose my gateway and it says that it is online. (Must be online and working, since my other reports refresh)

To me it seems as if there was still some code in the Dataset pointing to the old SharePoint Source but I cannot find anything.

Again: Thanks in Advance. With your help I hopefully don‘t have to build up my reports from scratch...

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nicolas_viet

“This is working perfectly fine for all new reports I have designed since the gateway was installed but my older reports refuse refreshing”

From above, I can see you connect CRM datasource to your gateway on Power BI Service and can refresh it successfully, right?

If not, please check if you have done the right way to configure schedule refresh according to this article.

Additionally, what’s error message when older reports refuse refreshing?

Best Regards

Maggie

@v-juanli-msft wrote:

Hi @Nicolas_viet

From above, I can see you connect CRM datasource to your gateway on Power BI Service and can refresh it successfully, right?

If not, please check if you have done the right way to configure schedule refresh according to this article.

Additionally, what’s error message when older reports refuse refreshing?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

thanks for your reply!

Yes, Gateway is working in general but not for the datasets for which I have changed the source.

The error message was something like „internal service error, please contact support for further details“

But I have found a solution yesterday (trial & error):

A last resort I saved my report&dataset under a new file name and published it to the webservice under a new name as well. This made it work again.

It seems as if the changes that I made to the report in PBI Desktop concerning the datasource have not been successfully applied to the report in the PBI Service, when publishing and overwriting it.

Deleting and publishing again worked. Unfortunately I had to delete all visuals from my dashboards and pin them again but that did not cost me so much time.

Best

Nicolas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors