Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate II
Advocate II

Refresh error: "We reached the end of the buffer."

Hey guys,


Have a problem when updating me dataset in the service. It gives me the following message:


"We reached the end of the buffer."


Couldn't find anything that explains what I should do to solve it. Any ideas?


Thank you!

Advocate I
Advocate I

Having the same problem.

When I update the JSON source file by updating the data source settings [NAME FILE_DATE OF FILE] and then click refresh it says:

We reached the end of the buffer. 

This happens in the table where the source is first referenced.


Any solutions?


Thank you

Hi @cgeraeds 


What API are you getting the JSON from?

Hello @dawidvh ,


From our system developer I understand it's done with the Rails Framework via the to_json() command, more can be found here:


Is that enough information for you?


Kind Regards,


Hi @sguenther,


What data source are you using in your scenario? Is there any measures have the same name as a table in your dataset?



Hi @v-ljerr-msft,


I'm using the following data sources: Google Analytics, PostgreSQL, Odata (from Dynamics CRM) and Web.

No measure has the same name as a table.



Hi @sguenther,


I found there is a new issue on Power BI Support currently which may relate to your issue: "Some Power BI customers in North Europe are experiencing data refresh failures with gateway connecting to on prem data sources. Engineers are working on a resolution for this. Next update 11/14/2016 @ 18:30 PST."


Could you wait for that issue being fixed, then check if your issue remains?Smiley Happy



Having the same issue, and seems to be caused by referenced queries. If I reduce the queries referencing the source queries, the problem goes away.


There doesn't seem to be lots of info on this topic, has anyone been able to get some solid answers on this yet?

Frequent Visitor

Hi! It seems that I've been having this issue as well - but it's quite random. Every couple of days scheduled data refresh fails with this error, mentioning different table everytime. Other than that automated and on demand refresh works fine, even though I didn't change anything nor tried to fix the issue. However, the error occurs often enough for the issue to become problematic - the scheduled refresh failed two times this week.


I'd also love to know if anyone has been able to find anything regarding this error?

Community Champion
Community Champion



Please see the screenshot. Possible Reason.service status.PNG

Thanks & Regards,

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - June 24th

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!