Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

j_w
Helper IV
Helper IV

Refresh error message: Information is needed in order to combine data

I still have the error described here

Power BI Service refresh error.png

The on-premises data gateway is up-to-date, version number 14.16.6423.3

In the Power BI Desktop, I have made following setups for the sales report:

File > Options and Settings > Options:
   GLOBAL > Privacy: have set the Privacy Levels to "Always ignore Privacy Level Settings"
   CURRENT FILE > Privacy: have set the Privacy Levels to "Ignore the Privacy Levels and potentially improve performance"
File > Options and Settings > Data source settings:
   For all the four ODBC data sources in my pbix file, have set the Privacy Level dropdown list in the Edit Permission dialog to "None"

There are a few tables in the report comes from different databases, as you can see on the above error screenshot.

The error happened after I creating a new table by Query Editor > Merge Queries as New.

The new table is a Left Outer join of two tables (BookingForm table and SalesOrder table) come from two different databases (BookingForm databse and Product database)

Before creating the above new merged table, the refresh (scheduled or manual) on the Power BI Service works fine.

Is this still a Power BI side bug?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @j_w

Thanks for those details.

When you Added the data source in the Gateway on the Power BI Service, what did you set the privacy settings to under Advanced? It should also be set to None for each of the data sources

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @j_w

It appears that the error is because you have got two different data sources with two different Privacy Settings.

What I would suggest doing is in your Power BI Desktop file go into the Options and set the Privacy to None or Ignore. This is desgined by default, so if there is a privacy mismatch for the data to not be loaded.

This blog post will also give you more details around the Privacy settings

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2017/07/10/data-privacy-settings-in-power-bipower-query-part-5-the-inhe...

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

Thanks for your reply.

In my post, I have mentioned the following settings:

Power BI Service refresh error 2.png

I think these are the settings that you suggested, right?

But such kind of setting didn't work.

Thanks.

Hi @j_w

Thanks for those details.

When you Added the data source in the Gateway on the Power BI Service, what did you set the privacy settings to under Advanced? It should also be set to None for each of the data sources

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

You are amazing 🙂

On the Power BI Service website, I found one data source's privacy level is set to None and the others are Organizational.

After I changed the None one to Organizational (by deleting it and creating another Organizational one), the report refresh works again.

There are two questions though:

1. Currently, I have set the Privacy Level in the report file to None or Ignore, but on the Power BI Service website, all data sources are set to Organizational, and this works fine. Does this mean the Privacy settings in Desktop and Service are independent?

2. Why I could not change the Privacy setting from None to Organizational on the Power BI Service website? I have to delete it and create a new one with privacy level set to Organizational.

Thanks.

Thanks @j_w

With regards to your questions, from my understanding the Privacy settings should be the same between the desktop and the service.

When you create a data source in the Gateway it appears that the privacy setting cannot be modified and needs to be re-created and have the new privacy setting applied in that way.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ  I have the same refresh error. My report contains data from Google Analytics and SQL Server Database. I set privacy level both to orgnizational in Power BI Desktop file. I got the privacy level error when scheduling refresh. How should I do? In data gateway, I didn't find a way to add Google Analytics as data source.

Hi @Gracie

Try setting them both to None and see if that works and then work back from there?

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ  Tried. But Google Analytics doesn't allow the privacy level to be none, it forces you to choose one from public, organizational or private.

hi @Gracie

Ok I am not then exactly sure how to solve it then!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors