Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mardin
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Refresh error: Reason: PrivacySetting - "Information is needed in order to combine data"

Hello,

Since beginning of this week a bunch of our reports have started to fail out of the blue. They have worked perfectly fine for the last 6 months but suddenly can't refresh with below error:

Underlying error message: Information is needed in order to combine data

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.Reason: PrivacySetting
Cluster URI: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net

I have already read the other posts on this Community about this error and thus chaning Privacy settings to "None" on both Gateway sources as well as within Report Data source settings (as well as setting Report to "Always ignore") fixed it for SOME reports but not all.

One report specifically where I am trying to merge OData-Connection to Sharepoint 2010 with some Excel files on a company network drive. I can open the .PBIX file and Refresh perfectly fine, but when trying to refresh the published Dataset it fails with above error.

I am all out of ideas - please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous and everyone else.

I think I have narrowed the changes of Privacy Settings in Gateway data source list down to the launch of Dataflows which happened same week.

The way Dataflows currently work has some unwanted sideeffects on Gateway Data source settings. If I add a Dataflow from Source A it will automatically change Source A privacy settings to "None" in the Gateway settings.

If I then change Source A back to "Organisational" in my Gateway settings my Schedules Refresh works again. Untill next time I go and fiddle around with a Dataflow from Source A resulting it to change back to "None" in Gateway settings.

... in addition, let's say you don't have a Source B in your Gateway source list yet. The moment you add a Dataflow from Source B it will automatically add Source B to your Gateway source list resulting in potentially unwanted sources in the Gateway....

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We recently started getting this error for one of our report refresh. I read all the comments and tried all the possible ways to make this work but, no luck.

I have set all the permissions to Organisation level. For me it is giving the error for Adobe Analytics. Following is the error snapshot. Before setting the permission it was giving the following errorAdobe_Analytics_error_1.png

After setting the privacy level now I am getting following error:

Adobe_Analytics_error_2.png

Can anyone please help me with this. I have tested all the connections on Power BI desktop and everything is working fine. But this error starts after publishing the report and try to refresh the dataset.

Please let me know if anyone have resolved this issue. Thanks in advance!

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mardin,

Could you please update your Power BI desktop to the latest version and try to publish the report to different workspace and renaming the PBIX as well? If the error still occurs, kindly porvide the Fiddler trace to me.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Update: After a chat with Customer Support I tried to change ALL Data sources on the Gateway to "Enterprise" privacy setting as well as changed all data sources on all reports that go trhrough the Gateway to "Enterprise" as well.

It seems to function now - fingers crossed!

Hi @Mardin,

That's cool, Could you please mark your answer as solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nearly all of our production reports failed at this same time too with this same error...its almost like just this week the privacy setting feature started working as intended... Why no notification from Microsoft if they are going to make production changes that have brought many peoples reports down with no insight into how to fix???

Hi @Anonymous and everyone else.

I think I have narrowed the changes of Privacy Settings in Gateway data source list down to the launch of Dataflows which happened same week.

The way Dataflows currently work has some unwanted sideeffects on Gateway Data source settings. If I add a Dataflow from Source A it will automatically change Source A privacy settings to "None" in the Gateway settings.

If I then change Source A back to "Organisational" in my Gateway settings my Schedules Refresh works again. Untill next time I go and fiddle around with a Dataflow from Source A resulting it to change back to "None" in Gateway settings.

... in addition, let's say you don't have a Source B in your Gateway source list yet. The moment you add a Dataflow from Source B it will automatically add Source B to your Gateway source list resulting in potentially unwanted sources in the Gateway....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this. My scheduled refresh works now. 

Thank you! This solution was helpful for us today. we also implemented Dataflows and then immediately had this error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

can we get a moderator or admin to look into this issue, this issue isn't solved, this is a defect of deploying dataflows. All that has been identified is the root area that the issue stems from. This needs to be fixed by MSFT, it was never communicated that by trying out a new feature it would break all production reports in the service.

We are also getting this error. Datasets that were previosly refreshing fine are now getting the error 

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.Reason:PrivacySetting

I have changed all Gateway data sources to None but this has not helped. Has anyone found a solution. 

We have also started to use Dataflows and I am sure that this triggered the error. 

@dcresp instead of "None" I actually set all sources to "Enterprise" and then it worked.

I use an Enterprise Gateway and have it set to use the Enterprise Gateway. In the Gateway Data Source settings under Advanced settings Privacy Level settings for this data source the options I get are None, Private, Organisational and Public. I do not get an option for Enterprise. Can you please give me some more details on where you are setting Enterprise as a privacy level. Thanks

Sorry I meant Organisational not Enterprise. Try to set all sources to Organisational 🙂

@Mardinthanks for your assistance this worked :-). How very frustrating that adding Dataflows (a great new tool) broke existing data refreshes. Without your assistance I would have spent a long time trying to figure this one out. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mardin Thank you so much for solution.  Half a day spent going crazy until i found your solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't solved.

I think you are right that this can all be tied back to dataflows being deployed but we need an actual answer from Microsoft here.

I have had every datasource that was working fine without privacy setting issue fail on me in the last two weeks. A couple of them I did create a dataflow with. One in particular that started throwing a privacy setting error a couple days ago has never been set up with dataflows (Teradata insn't supported yet), did fail in the last couple weeks and at the gateway level was set to organizational, and somehow got switched back to None even though no one on our team did this.

The answer I need from Microsoft is, what update was deployed that made all of our production reports fail, what was the purpose, why have data gateway privacy settings reverted back to none, even without dataflows being used.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Unfortunately I have the exact same issus. Started this week as well with no changes to the dataset at all. Has been running smoothly for months. Tried all the same and the service is also located in NorthEurope. My sources are on prem tables and azure db tables.

Hope there is a solution for this soon. Maybe the november gateway will fix it, but qiute critical that reports suddenly fails when microsoft is releasing updates (which is what I suspect has happened)...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors