Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh data when open public link

Hi guys,

I have a report published to Power BI Service. I share a public link to embed into my webapp using the Publish to public feature (Share > Embed report > Publish to public). 

Now, the data in my data source (SQL Server) is constantly updated with new transaction data. So I want the data to be refreshed everytime I open the public link. Is it possible? What if I use Direct Query?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

There is no out of the box way to do what you are requesting.  To refresh the data, you need to use the gateway and the scheduled refresh.  But, there is a lag between the refresh and the update.  Read this link about the refreshing cycle for embedded:

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

and this full article

for more details.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

There is no out of the box way to do what you are requesting.  To refresh the data, you need to use the gateway and the scheduled refresh.  But, there is a lag between the refresh and the update.  Read this link about the refreshing cycle for embedded:

and this full article

for more details.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I also just found this article: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-auto-refresh-report-data-using-direct-query/td-p/168...

Looks like even if I use Direct Query, the 1-hour delay for public link still applies.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors