Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nphdiem95
Frequent Visitor

Refresh data when database has changes

Hi all.

I want my reports on power BI service to refresh immediately when the database has changes.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,

Diem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nphdiem95,

Hi Diem,

1. Everytime we refresh or reload a report that is in a Direct Query mode, Power BI will retrieve the source data from the data source. So when you refresh the dashboard or the report, you will get the latest data. 

2. Scheduled refresh of Direct Query is scheduled CACHE refresh. 

3. Even scheduled refresh can happen minute-by-minute, but the dashboard and the report won't refresh minute-by-minute. The tiles on the dashboard refreshes about every fifteen minutes. Reference: powerbi-refresh-data

4. If you want the visual update in real time, you need to use a stream dataset.

Workarounds:

1. Use a stream dataset if you want the visual to update in real time.

2. Use Direct Query mode. Refresh the browser tab in a duration you want, which can be done by third-party tools. I tested the Direct Query mode. Everytime I refresh, I can get the latest data. 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nphdiem95,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft Thank you for your reply. My data is always deleted and refill every minute. As far as I know, direct query only schedule refresh every 15 minutes at least. What can I do to keep my dashboard up-to-date?

@nphdiem95,

Hi Diem,

1. Everytime we refresh or reload a report that is in a Direct Query mode, Power BI will retrieve the source data from the data source. So when you refresh the dashboard or the report, you will get the latest data. 

2. Scheduled refresh of Direct Query is scheduled CACHE refresh. 

3. Even scheduled refresh can happen minute-by-minute, but the dashboard and the report won't refresh minute-by-minute. The tiles on the dashboard refreshes about every fifteen minutes. Reference: powerbi-refresh-data

4. If you want the visual update in real time, you need to use a stream dataset.

Workarounds:

1. Use a stream dataset if you want the visual to update in real time.

2. Use Direct Query mode. Refresh the browser tab in a duration you want, which can be done by third-party tools. I tested the Direct Query mode. Everytime I refresh, I can get the latest data. 

Best Regards!

Dale

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@nphdiem95,

Hi Diem,

It could be an easy way to connect to the database in the Direct Query mode. No refreshing is needed. But a gateway may be needed. Please reference: powerbi-desktop-use-directquery 

About refreshing: powerbi-refresh-data

Best Regards!

Dale

PowerDAX
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi Diem - see a great article from Erik Svensen re: 

Updating a #PowerBI dataset using Microsoft #Flow, #Azure Functions and a #Flic button

http://www.businessintelligenceinfo.com/business-intelligence/self-service-bi/updating-a-powerbi-dat...

This same functionality (minus the Flic button) could be used with a Microsoft Flow event when a specific data element was updated/inserted.

powerdax.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors