Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HenkeC
Frequent Visitor

Refresh data gives blank values after appending queries

Here's what I've done so far:

-So basically I made my reports in Power bi desktop and then uploaded the reports online to Power BI services.

-In Power BI desktop: I read the data from Dynamics 365.

-Combined two tables using "Append queries" into a new one and merged two different date-columns into a new column.

-I then uploaded the pbix-file online (Datasets >> Get Data >> Import or connect to data >> Files >> "My pbix-file")

-Set the data source credentials with the same Odata url and Authentication method: Oauth2

-I try to refresh the data and that's where the problem occurs.

It seems like my merged date-column is the main problem here. All other columns from the same "appended table" seem to work fine but my date-column is just showing blank. Everything else seem to refresh without problems.

Where would the problem be? I'm guessing it's the merge columns step that's messing things up so perhaps there's another/better way to combine the two date-columns and have it refresh correctly.

Everything seems to refresh as usual in Power BI desktop but the problem occurs when I try to refresh in Power BI services.

Any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @HenkeC,

What is the data type and data format of the merged column? Create a new calculated new column using one of the following DAX formula based on your needs to merge the existing two date columns, then re-publish the Power BI Desktop to Service and check if refresh works as expected.

Please replace column names with your owns in the following formulas.

MergeColumn1 = CONCATENATE('Date'[Column1], 'Date'[Column2])
MergeColumn2= CONCATENATE('Date'[Column1],CONCATENATE(",",'Date'[Column2]))

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @HenkeC,

What is the data type and data format of the merged column? Create a new calculated new column using one of the following DAX formula based on your needs to merge the existing two date columns, then re-publish the Power BI Desktop to Service and check if refresh works as expected.

Please replace column names with your owns in the following formulas.

MergeColumn1 = CONCATENATE('Date'[Column1], 'Date'[Column2])
MergeColumn2= CONCATENATE('Date'[Column1],CONCATENATE(",",'Date'[Column2]))

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, that did the job! Everything seems to be refreshing normally now.

Hi @HenkeC,

Glad to hear the issue is solved. You can accept helpful reply as answer, this way, other community members would easily find the answer when they get same issues.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors