Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Roym
Helper III
Helper III

Refresh data from onedrive

I build a report in PBI desktop with the source Excel on my ondrive for business. When publishing the report to the cloud the report is working. But once I try to refresh the dataset I get this error 'Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh.'.

What I found out is that in PBI desktop the source takes my c://.... and not the onedrive url directly. So most likely that is the problem. But I'm not sure how to change this without recreating my whole report. I tested to do get data on the PBI cloud and then make the connection to the onedrive and then the refresh works. Hopefully anyone has an idea on how to fix this without re-creating my whole report again 🙂 Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi. You need to find the weburl or the excel file to replace the "C\\" and change the method File.Contents to Web.Content. The following post explains it:
https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/185337134590/alternativa-para-conectar-power-bi-a-onedrive

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - behind the scenes, OneDrive is a Sharepoint document library, so you can use the Sharepoint connector.  This is how I retrieve the content from an Excel that I saved in OneDrive but access through Sharepoint.

Note, the query steps below are parameterized for each updating and reproduction.

jennratten_0-1633611944258.png

The object_type is the Excel file object (Table, Sheet, etc).  The object name is is the name of the object selected in object type.  In this example I am wanting the content of a Table named InputData in an Excel file named (file name specified in input_file_name), which is saved in my OneDrive for Business folder.

Source = SharePoint.Files(sp_site, [ApiVersion = 15]),
  get_file = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Name] = input_file_name),
  Navigation = get_file{0}[Content],
  file_content = Excel.Workbook(Navigation, null, true),
  get_object = Table.SelectRows(file_content, each [Kind] = input_object_type and [Name] = input_object_name),
  object_content = get_object{0}[Data],

@jennratten Sorry, i'm not fully understanding it (yet). In my PBIX file I have two tables that come from Excel. Currently for both those tables when I go into the query editor the source is:

= Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\name\OneDrive - company.com\PowerBI\Report V3.xlsx"), null, true)

How do I need to adjust this?

You should go to the folder that contains the file, then right-click and click View Online.  That should open the file in the web.  Look in the address bar.  Get the text that appears before /_layouts and remove :u:/r/ from the middle.  That should be the path to use in the Sharepoint connector.

https://xxxxxxx-my.sharepoint.com/personal/yourname_xxxxxxx_com

Hi. You need to find the weburl or the excel file to replace the "C\\" and change the method File.Contents to Web.Content. The following post explains it:
https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/185337134590/alternativa-para-conectar-power-bi-a-onedrive

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank you both for your help! with the guide from the website I was able to get it working! Thanks

Wonderful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors