Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

khandujashish

Refresh cloud based SQL server import query through Power Bi service

I am extractting data from SQL server using Import query mode. SQL server is hosted on a private cloud. Post publishing (using organization O365 credentials) my report on Power BI service, I am unbale to refresh the data. 

I am getting below errorCapture.PNG

Please suggest possible solution for this problem?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

wondering if you have installed an "on-premises gateway" (I recommend the enterprise installation)?

It's always a good idea to create a managed domain account that will be used as a service account for the gateway.

Did you create a datasource connection utilizing the on-premises data gateway inside the Power BI service?

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response.

Do I need to ask my organization IT team to install this gateway? Can you please provide information in detail how this gateway works? Will the same gateway works for other team members once I share the report over Power BI service using O365 credentials ? Please let me know if my understanding is correct  -

Once report is published on Power BI service, then we need to give access to Power BI cloud to the cloud where my database is hosted, that is why we need this gateway, correct? Gateway will work as a bridge between Power BI cloud and database private cloud.

Also, it would be great of you can share some information over the security. Is this gateway secure enough to give access to organization sensitive information.

Thanks,

Ashish

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors