Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fbackes
Helper I
Helper I

Refresh causes unknown error

Hi all,

I need some help, because the refresh of one of our datasets permanently leads to an unknown error.

The dataset can be processed and refreshed in PBI Desktop without any problems. How can go on with finding out what causes the error?

Bei Bedarf18.11.2018, 09:58:5918.11.2018, 10:30:37Fehler 
Cluster-URI:WABI-EUROPE-NORTH-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Aktivitäts-ID:f66e8f44-1b49-4c28-b9d2-03e229d985fd
Anforderungs-ID:a9283d60-baed-4757-99b9-1d3652f8a39c
Zeit:2018-11-18 09:30:37Z
8 REPLIES 8
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fbackes

Please give detailed information for analysis,

As Ross73312 suggested, give the more detailed error information.

Which is the dataset? excel file? SQL server database? online or on-premises?

How does it connect to power bi? import ? direct query?

Do you add this datasource to the on-premise gateway? give the correct credential?

You could read through this following link to check which scenario you met.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios

Best Regards

Maggie

Many thanks for your answer, Maggie.

Here is some for info:

The data source is a text file coming from a POS system. The structure of the file is quite complex, as it is not entity related and I have to refer to different data rows to collect all information of an entity. This is done by using calculated columns. The size of the main data file is 150MB and the size of the dataset is 24MB.

The application uses the PBI service and is not on-premise. All the data sources have been given valid credentials. So far, the personal gateway is used.  

Hi @fbackes

I'm still confuzed.

Steps below are what i assume you have done, if i'm wrong, please correct me.

1. connect to the data source (text file) with Power BI Desktop (Get Date->Text

13.png

2. publish from desktop to Service

3. add data source to the personal gateway, and configure credentials and schedule refresh setting as below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Additionally, please check if you use the lastest version gateway,alse since personal gateway needs to run as a application, please confirm it runs when refresh is going on.

Best Regards

maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

yes, I've done exactly what you have outlined.

However, there is one slight difference: The data source is not a dedicated text file, but a directory. The file name can change, so I set up a directory as the data source. It is guaranteed by the overall processing (power shell scrips) that this directory contains only a single file. I think this setup wouldn't make any difference compared to having a dedicated file as the data source.

I've published the dataset from PBI desktop, added the data source and configured credentials and scheduled refresh. I also tried a manual refresh. I even updated to the newest version of the gateway last week. The user under which the personal gateway is running is always logged in and there are no problems with refreshing other datasets using the same gateway. 

The refresh starts and after some time (ca. 30 minutes) the error occurs. 

Hi @fbackes

It seems you connect to Active Directory with Power BI Desktop.

Active Directory is not a supported data source for refresh.

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-troubleshoot-unsupported-data-source...

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

thanks a lot for your message.

I'm definitely not accessing any AD. The only two data sources are a flat file and an Excel file.

I'm getting more and more refresh errors with other data sets now too. We even upgraded the VM (10 kernels and 48GB RAM now).

The logic of the processes is quite complex, but all data sets can be successfully processed with PBI Desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a look in the 'Refresh History' for the dataset, generally in there there is a "Show More" option which will give you the details.

Many thanks for your reply, Ross73312.

My original post contains the output of the "Show more" option, Unfortunately, there isn't any more info about the error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors