Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Adriang
Regular Visitor

Refresh can't be scheduled because the data set doesn't contain any data model connections

Hi All

I have created a dataset that connect to my Operations manager Database. Here i pull through information pertaining to my IT environment. Once i create the dataset i create a  report then a dashboard, however when i try to refresh the data in the dataset i get the below error " Refresh can't be scheduled because the data set doesn't contain any data model connections, or is a worksheet or linked table. To schedule refresh, the data must be loaded into the data model." 

Please can someone assist by telling me how i can get my data to refresh so i have the most current information at my disposal.

Adrian

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Adrian,

I can reproduce your issue when I don’t load data into Power BI Desktop data model. Please make sure that you apply all the pending changes by clicking Apply in Query Editor before saving the pbix file in Power BI Desktop. Then you should be able to schedule refresh in Power BI service after you properly configure gateway.

111.png

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Adriang Did you create report in power bi desktop first and then published or created it in power bi service to azure sql database ?

I created it in power bi service but i cant make a refresh to data how can i refresh it?

thanks

Hi

I created it in the Power Bi Desktop and then published it to the web console.

Adrian

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Adriang If your data source in an on-premises data source (sounds like it based on your responses so far), then you will need a gateway (personal or enterprise) depending on your implementation. If the gateway is installed on your personal computer, then use a personal gateway. If the gateway is installed on a server, then use a enteprise gateway.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Adriang What is your data source and how did you import the data in the Power BI?

Also look here for reference on what can be refreshed... And whether you may need a Gateway installed

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/

Hi Sean

I added the data source. I clicked SQL database and selected my Operations Manager Database. This then populated the Dataset.

I also added this on the gateway but still no luck.

Adrian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors