Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mayurwadhwani
Helper I
Helper I

Refresh Visual on Service takes long time, if report kept for more than 5mins

Hello Experts,

I have report with 50 pages and it gets loaded in 2 minutes. Methodology is import.
Say for example I am on page 1 on service and click at right top Refresh Visual which refreshes all visuals on the report page in 3-4 seconds. But if I keep that page open for 5-7 secondsand then I click Refresh visual then it takes very long time around  10-15mins.

Any help or suggestion on same would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Mayur

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mayurwadhwani ,

If your report is located in a shared capacity. I suggest you upgrade it to premium. 

Import models are  loaded and removed from memory according to usage. An import model is loaded when it is queried (interactive operation), or if it needs to be refreshed (background operation).

The removal of a model from memory is known as eviction. It's an operation Power BI can perform quickly depending on the size of the models. If the capacity isn't experiencing any memory pressure and the model isn't idle (i.e., actively in-used), the model can reside in memory without being evicted. When Power BI determines there is insufficient memory to load a model, the Power BI service will attempt to free up memory by evicting inactive models, typically defined as models loaded for interactive operations which have not been used in the last three minutes . If there are no inactive models to evict, the Power BI service attempts to evict models loaded for background operations. A last resort, after 30 seconds of failed attempts, is to fail the interactive operation. In this case, the report user is notified of failure with a suggestion to try again shortly. In some cases, models may be unloaded from memory due to service operations.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mayurwadhwani 

If you are using Import mode then the refresh of the dataset is either manually or through Gateway. The refresh button on Top right page is only needed when the data model has been updated, so why are using you it all the time?

Also creating a report with 50 pages is not a good approach as it could create bad performance essentially when the visuals them selves are not yet optimised. Using cross report is better approach.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi @aj1973 ,

Thanks for the quick response. But if keept report open for 5mins and try to drive visual 2 from visual 1 from the page. It also takes 10-15mins. But where as if we do not keep report open then driving one visual from another visual just takes 5-6 seconds.
Database is Azure SQL DB. Methodology is Import.

Also out of 50 pages we have used only 7 pages and other 43 are being shown on tooltip or are hidden

Thanks

@mayurwadhwani 

Well, I am not familiar with this issue but I still think that having mutiple pages in a same report( even if they are hidden or on tooltip...they are there and they interact with the rest of the pages) could cause performance issues...

I would suggest 2 things, verfiy the performance of your report in your desktop and try to publish a test report with reduced pages and see if the problem persists.

Let me know.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi,

I have optimized report and also have deleted 30 pages. Now report has 20 pages with 8 active pages and 12 tooltip pages. But problem still persists. If I keep report open for 5 to 10mins and try to drive one visual from another its taking long time. And in other case when we open report and start interacting with report immediately then it just couple of seconds.

Thanks

Hi @mayurwadhwani ,

Is it in shared capacity? I suggest you use Power BI Desktop Performance Analyzer to find out how each of your report elements—such as visuals and DAX formulas—are doing. It's especially useful to determine whether it's the query or visual rendering that's contributing to performance issues.

Please also refer to https://www.bluegranite.com/blog/power-bi-performance-optimization to optimized your report.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @mayurwadhwani 

This report (I made it) 

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMmFhYWVlMDUtYTk3My00Y2U2LTgwMWEtZDQwNjAyNmQwNjc5IiwidCI6IjgzN...

Contains 21 hiden pages, the Model has 3 Tables: GL_Accounts, GL_Group and Calendar. 2 Relationship/one direction. I used Grouping accounts and measures....I am telling you these details to show you that as much as you make your Model(star schema) simple and add the right optimised measures into your visuals, the performance of the whole report stays optimized.

Can you screenshot you Model for me please?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi @v-deddai1-msft  @aj1973 ,

Report is almost optimized. Validated via Performance analyzer. How come report interaction is working fine when we open report and interact immediately. And if we do not interact with report for more than 5mins in that case its taking long time to interact and drive other visuals on a page.
If it would have been performance issue then it should have been reflected when we open report and interact. Entire performance of report is good when we open and interact.
Also, due to compliance issue its difficult for me to share data model snap.

Thanks,

Mayur

Hi @mayurwadhwani ,

If your report is located in a shared capacity. I suggest you upgrade it to premium. 

Import models are  loaded and removed from memory according to usage. An import model is loaded when it is queried (interactive operation), or if it needs to be refreshed (background operation).

The removal of a model from memory is known as eviction. It's an operation Power BI can perform quickly depending on the size of the models. If the capacity isn't experiencing any memory pressure and the model isn't idle (i.e., actively in-used), the model can reside in memory without being evicted. When Power BI determines there is insufficient memory to load a model, the Power BI service will attempt to free up memory by evicting inactive models, typically defined as models loaded for interactive operations which have not been used in the last three minutes . If there are no inactive models to evict, the Power BI service attempts to evict models loaded for background operations. A last resort, after 30 seconds of failed attempts, is to fail the interactive operation. In this case, the report user is notified of failure with a suggestion to try again shortly. In some cases, models may be unloaded from memory due to service operations.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors