Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh Onedrive not working

Hi, I´m having problems with the refresh option. I have a report in Power BI Service, which source is a PBI Desktop file (which source is a Excel file). They are saved in a Onedrive for Business folder. 

I updated the Excel file by copying new data (with more rows). When I refresh the Desktop file it update the vistualizations. This does not happen with the Power BI Service file. What is the problem? How can I refresh and update it? 

Many thanks!

Pedro Córdova

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Power BI Desktop Files and Power BI Service are not actually linked. They are separate files. Essentially, when you publish to Power BI Service is copies the file to the cloud.

If you do not have a data gateway set up yet you will need to do so. See this link to learn more about data Power BI Data Gateways: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

If you are new to Data Gateways I recommend just setting up a personal one for now until you are using automatic refreshes. However, if your only data source(s) is a manually updated excel spreadsheet then the personal mode is fine.

Once you have the Data Gatewayer set up you will need to refresh the Power BI Service dataset separately from the Pbix file. Simply log in online, select the report, and click refresh in the taskbar. Alternatively, go to your datasets in Power BI Serivce and click refresh. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is your gateway configured correctly? Will refreshing the report get an error?
If not,Please wait about 10-15 minutes for a refresh.This is a normal delay.
If it is still not showing up, rebuild the report or republish the visualization to the service.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Liang, 

I had to upload again the file. I correctly configurated the gateway with your indications. 

Many thanks for the support!

Regards, 

Pedro 

Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Power BI Desktop Files and Power BI Service are not actually linked. They are separate files. Essentially, when you publish to Power BI Service is copies the file to the cloud.

If you do not have a data gateway set up yet you will need to do so. See this link to learn more about data Power BI Data Gateways: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

If you are new to Data Gateways I recommend just setting up a personal one for now until you are using automatic refreshes. However, if your only data source(s) is a manually updated excel spreadsheet then the personal mode is fine.

Once you have the Data Gatewayer set up you will need to refresh the Power BI Service dataset separately from the Pbix file. Simply log in online, select the report, and click refresh in the taskbar. Alternatively, go to your datasets in Power BI Serivce and click refresh. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors